General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power Steering Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 02:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power Steering Issue

Well my simple goal of swapping in my UMI K member has turned into many different projects. I just spent the last hour or so scrubbing power steering fluid off of my engine so now I am looking at finding the leak to make sure it doesnt happen again. I know my R&P is leaking and that is getting replaced. There seems to be a leak from the pump though as well and I am wondering if it is better to replace the entire pump or just redo the seals. There is fluid on the front of the pulley and coming from the bottom of the pump/reservoir at the lines. It is not streaming out or anything, but it is definitely leaking.

So is more worth my time to spend $10 and try and do the seals or should I just spend the $50 and get a new pump? Also since I will be putting in a rail cooler instead of the stock cooler and I will be replacing the R&P, almost the entire system will be replaced. Are there any special steps to bleed the system when its all back together? Thanks for the help.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:08 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Very common issue. Do you have fluid on the top of your reservoir? If so, the tank is overflowing. A full fluid flush may take care of it for you.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

Doesnt really seem like its coming from the top of the reservoir. It is kind of all over the place so it is hard to tell. I have read about the system boiling over, but the one thing that made me think it was the pump was the fluid on the front of the pulley. From the pattern on the front,it looks like it is coming from the shaft and being flung outward.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:53 PM
Save the manuals!

Fluid on the front of the pulley is odd. The (stock) pulley itself is a friction fit on the shaft, so there should really be no way fluid leaking from the pump shaft can get by the pulley. By chance, could the fluid be spraying from the P/S cooler, which is situated in front of the pulley. (inline with the radiator hose)
Old 08-09-2011, 03:22 PM
TECH Resident

I dont think its spraying from the cooler. There is a little fluid on the lines from it, but it looks like its just seeping from the spring clips on them. I am in the process of installing a frame rail cooler instead of the junk inline one, so the cooler is going to be a non issue in the future. Here are a couple of pics of the pump and lines.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe your factory cooler is leaking, allowing the steering system to get over-pressurizing because from a hot radiator and high pressure....and its blowing the fluid out of the PS fluid reservoir cap. Happens all the time.

You have fluid or some kind of grime all over the front of the reservoir too.....when anything under the hood leaks it gets caught up in a whirlwind of air swirling all aver the engine bay while your moving.

Coolant in the PS fluid.....???

PS fluid (or black ****) in the coolant......???

Last edited by LS6427; 08-09-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:58 PM
Save the manuals!

That's pretty much what mine looked like from an overflow issue - except for the stuff on the front of the pulley. Very strange... It looks like some fluid got on the pulley and was then pushed to the outside as the pulley was turning. Not sure how that could have happened as your PS cooler lines look pretty good.

When you are under the car installing your new rail cooler, you'll have a really good perspective (from under the car) to clean all of the lines. Maybe wipe them down (and the tank and pulley) with alcohol or degreaser, get them clean, and see if/where the problems re-appear?
Old 08-09-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the advice. Thats what I was planning on doing. I was just curious if the fluid on the front of the pulley was indicative of any specific problem since I have easy access to the pump with the alternator off.