General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

oh my GOD!!! another breakdown in my v6 bird help for the love of God Please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oh my GOD!!! another breakdown in my v6 bird help for the love of God Please!!!

okay, i think the problem is something is getting hot. today, i drove it a good while and it was running like it was a brand new car. total new parts that have been put in it since november 2010 are ign module, 2 ignition coils, 1 crank position sensor, not sure how old the spark wires are, but as i said, i think something with the ignition system is getting hot as i drive it. im gonna check the spark wires for spark, then if not that, use my powerprobe to see what all is working. if nothing comes up, does anyone out here have any suggestions of what i could check. the fuel pump is priming, but i havent checked to see if the injectors are working, should i test fuel pressure, and how would i do that? my head is about to explode!!!
Old 08-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You never said WHAT the actual symptom is......?

What is getting hot...a certain part?

Is it misfiring after awhile....

More details.....

Old 08-09-2011, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

oh yea, im sorry, i was just too damn frustrated, the deal is, i will drive it for a while, and it will be at normal operating temperature for a while, and it runs perfect, not missing or idling rough at all, runs like a new car. but out of nowhere, it will just die off, and won't start back, will crank, but not start. i was lucky both times this has happened that i could coast it to the side of the road. if anyone needs anymore details, just say and i can provide em
Old 08-09-2011, 10:34 PM
Teching In

Ouch that sucks, hope you get it figured out.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:36 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a possible dying fuel pump. If it sputters and dies out when its hot and wont restart but restarts when it cools off then I'd suspect the pump. Put a fuel pressure gauge on the cars fuel rail fitting and see what what the pressure is when it dies. IIRC the pressure should be around 45 psi or so.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:16 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I vote fuel pump also. As mentioned you need to get a pressure gauge on there...
Old 08-10-2011, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

okay, thanks so far guys, but i went back to the ignition system, and the module on the blade is giving about a .07 volts so im thinking something with the module. if i took it to autozone could they hook the module up to something and see if it works, or is that just for certain things? i got a fuel filter but havent put it on, the fuel pump is priming like it should, but i suppose i should test the pressure, thanks so much guys, but im still thinking it is ignition. idk
Old 08-10-2011, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

i was also thinking that it could be my plug wires setting on the engine and close to the exhaust log and getting too hot, and then after a few days cool off and run again, becuase that is how the car does. it sets for about 3 days or so and i'll go start it and it will run like nothing is wrong
Old 08-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by firebirddude98
i was also thinking that it could be my plug wires setting on the engine and close to the exhaust log and getting too hot, and then after a few days cool off and run again, becuase that is how the car does. it sets for about 3 days or so and i'll go start it and it will run like nothing is wrong
Jeez man...if your plug wires on "setting" on the engine....thats terrible. Spark plug wires cannot touch ANY part of the metal exhaust manifolds or HOT metal engine block.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

i havent observed 100% if the wires are touching the exhaust or part of the block, but the wires going to the pass. side are laying on the valve covers. wudnt sure if that would get em too hot, but does anyone think it could be my computer messing up, the ign control module was only registering about .7 volts and should register about 12
Old 08-10-2011, 08:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Get the ignition control module tested at autozone for free. Cam/crank was culprit in this situation for me if fuel pressure is good.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:32 PM
TECH Junkie

PS: icm is a problem spot . Had it replaced twice on my old v6. Pull it out , put dialectrIc grease on all connecting terminals & where coils sit on it.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Your icm is dying.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by firebirddude98
i havent observed 100% if the wires are touching the exhaust or part of the block, but the wires going to the pass. side are laying on the valve covers. wudnt sure if that would get em too hot, but does anyone think it could be my computer messing up, the ign control module was only registering about .7 volts and should register about 12
Its not just heat......if a spark plug wire is just touching anything metal....it MIGHT arc and that will cause problems.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

well now, i am shitlessly clueless of whether it is just a wiring problem. i tested the module for juice and it registered 1 volt and then i took off all the coils, now it registers 11.68 after i moved the module around. the yellow wire is cut into and kind of frayed, maybe its just that? when im not busy i'll check out aall the wires going to everwhere if i can.