General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Trans oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans oil leak

I have a trans oil leak on my 97 SS. I thought it was the trans pan, but I put a new seal on and now I see it's leaking from the bell housing/converter area. It's still possible that it's leaking from the pan onto the area between the trans pan and oil pan, but unlikely. Any idea what seal I'm going to have to replace to fix the problem?
Old 08-13-2011, 06:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are you sure its transmission oil? My car leaks too, but engine oil and its all over the transmission pan and crossmember. I still am not sure what exactly is causing the leak. I can see oil coming from the top rear of the block. I want to add the leak detector dye to see where the hell its leaking from.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if i had to guess... i'd say the pump to conveter seal
Old 08-13-2011, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by guy7bmwm83
Are you sure its transmission oil? My car leaks too, but engine oil and its all over the transmission pan and crossmember. I still am not sure what exactly is causing the leak. I can see oil coming from the top rear of the block. I want to add the leak detector dye to see where the hell its leaking from.
It's definitely trans fluid. I just changed out the pan seal and cleaned everything up down there. A few days later, there was oil on the ground and drips on that area between the engine and trans oil pans. I put a little on my finger and it was clearly pink.