General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

High Speed fans wont kick on..any help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Speed fans wont kick on..any help?

I got a 1998 firebird. Its having A/c problems so i replaced the compressor. About a week later it wasnt cold so i started lookin around and i figured out that my fans are not kicking on "turbo". The engine heats up but the engine stays right at 180 like usual. So I pulled the fuses out and tested all relays and they both work. My next idea is to check the PCM or the high pressure sensor. Just wondering how i can test the high pressure a/c sensor with out removing it from the line.

Also, can i bypass the sensor signal wire to the 5v or sensor ground to make the high speed fans engage? But, the lower speed fans work when driving/idle..

Thanks for any help.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not 100 percent sure but I believe our fans are binary. Meaning on or off. Single speed. You do have a low temp fan and second higher temp fan. I wonder if your car just isn't hot enough to kick it in. I think this because that's how my efi live is set up.

If you really think it's an airflow issue i would take the car driving. Going down the road should pull enough air across the condensor to cool the cabin.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

Well its my daily driver car..I drive it to work and school everyday. The whether has been like 104 degrees everyday for like the last couple months. One day I got my water hose and poured water on the radiator for couple minuets and it seemed to make it a lot cooler. So that's why i was thinking it was getting to hot. What do you think?

Last edited by Coza427; 08-16-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:26 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Coza427
Well its my daily driver car..I drive it to work and school everyday. The whether has been like 104 degrees everyday for like the last couple months. One day I got my water hose and poured water on it for couple minuets and it seemed to make it a lot cooler. So that's why i was thinking maybe it was getting to hot. What do you think?
You poured water on WHAT????

Is the a/c compressor clutch engaging or not????

Old 08-16-2011, 10:55 PM
Staging Lane

Poured water on my radiator lol...and yes the clutch is working