General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

My engine is hissing at me

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My engine is hissing at me

2000 Camaro SS, and after having just a little bit of fun Wednesday night, I noticed that something was different. My idle was rougher, and if I was driving and let my foot off the throttle, it felt like I was going over bumps, like the car was trying to hop forward little bits at a time - though the road is a smooth one I've driven more times than I can count.

The hissing sound sounds like it's coming from the top, and there's a really heavy gasoline smell while the motor's running. The only things done are a ported throttle body, which was two years back, and the installation of pacesetter long tubes. In the installation of the headers, though, one bolt was sheared and is still stuck in the head - the mechanic got it to seal anyway, I'm just wondering if that's coming back to bite me.

Anyone have any advise before I go nuts trying to find the reason my engine is hissing and idling like crap? Please and thanks, in advance.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:13 PM
wrencher

Did you look for a vacuum leak? Check the PCV valve & lines etc....
Old 08-20-2011, 05:51 PM
Staging Lane

Best way to find a vacuum leak is to spray brake cleaner or something combustable on the vacuum lines one at a time (be careful to avoid hot exhaust and stuff) and when you hear the idle drop or change you have found which line is leaking. And def double check for exhaust leaks.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:19 PM
On The Tree

If you smell gas i would check you fuel rails on the driver side and make sure that valve isn't sticking it looks kinda like a valve stem on a tire and it should have a cap on it.

Quick Reply: My engine is hissing at me