General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Auto vs manual?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto vs manual?

Which one is better a 4 speed overdrive auto or an 5 speed?
Old 08-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Coza427
Which one is better a 4 speed overdrive auto or an 5 speed?
WOW....this should go 50 pages.

Myself........I chose AUTO because I just didn't want the hassle of having to shift all the time.....on hills and bridges in traffic sucks, holding a drink (non-alky), on the phone, etc..... Plus, there is no argument that an AUTO is more consistent when racing. Plus, girls always seem to pop the stickshift out of gear while they're leaning over......

Nothing at all against the M6 though....they're fun.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Auto is better for drag race and manual is better for roll race imo. I drive a stalled auto and love it on the street and enjoy the 1/4 mile times it does without much mods. If I ever wished I had a manual it would be on the highway if I was going to roll race but I havent had any issues against anyone around here yet anyway. Oh and I wish I had the mpg of a manual.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

someone lock this now lol.........both have pros and cons PERIOD! better is hard to define better. better at what? you didnt really pose a good question
Old 08-20-2011, 07:51 AM
TECH Regular

https://ls1tech.com/forums/1740893-post15.html
Old 08-22-2011, 01:44 PM
Staging Lane

Ok..John sums it up..lmao. I personally think a manual is better. Just wondering.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:58 PM
Staging Lane

Both have their pros and cons, for a manual they use less power to turn over meaning more power to the wheels, they have more gears meaning the ratios can be spaced out which is better for acceleration as well as cruising on the highway (depending on the specific tranny), manual trannys can typically handle more power compared to a stock auto, and you have full control over the gears at all times. If you don't mind shifting gears and don't plan on running faster than a 11 sec quarter mile then a manual is the way to go for a street car, anything faster than that an auto would be the wiser choice for consistency. Obviously I'm a little biased for manual cars since thats what my Trans Am is, but I also own an 87 Monte Carlo SS AEROCOUPE that has a 3k rpm stall converter and it's pretty fun to drive as well but that stall mixed with a huge street cam makes for doggish performance under 2k rpm's.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Banned

Stock auto's against stock manuals, the manual has the advantage, if the manual has a good driver.

Problem is, most people think they're a better driver than what they really are. You'll see lots of videos on youtube of people racing with manuals, I bet on every other video someone misses a shift, short shifts it, or redlines it. This doesn't happen with auto's, they never miss a shift. And a stalled auto will destroy a manual. End of story.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
Stock auto's against stock manuals, the manual has the advantage, if the manual has a good driver.

Problem is, most people think they're a better driver than what they really are. You'll see lots of videos on youtube of people racing with manuals, I bet on every other video someone misses a shift, short shifts it, or redlines it. This doesn't happen with auto's, they never miss a shift. And a stalled auto will destroy a manual. End of story.
WhiteKnight is speaking the truth when it comes to driving ability, I personally think I'm a great driver when it comes to shifting but I'll openly admit I miss shifts. GM didn't exactly make it easy on us M6 guys with that POS stock master cylinder and it's line restriction, but going from that to a Tick MC and an MGW short throw it's kinda hard to not think you're Jeff Gordon on the street, shifting gears is a total breeze now. As far as performance from a stalled auto or a T56 you're pretty much right, let's say you have two cars with the EXACT same mods, suspension and tires. The manual car will be putting more power to the wheels while the stalled auto will PROBABLY be putting up the better times at the track, and DEFINITELY will have the better 60 foot times, but after that the manual driver (if he's any good) should be trapping at a higher MPH and be reeling the auto in at the end of the 1/4 mile. Stalled auto > Manual from a dig, Manual > Any auto from a roll.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tpooleATL
WhiteKnight is speaking the truth when it comes to driving ability, I personally think I'm a great driver when it comes to shifting but I'll openly admit I miss shifts. GM didn't exactly make it easy on us M6 guys with that POS stock master cylinder and it's line restriction, but going from that to a Tick MC and an MGW short throw it's kinda hard to not think you're Jeff Gordon on the street, shifting gears is a total breeze now. As far as performance from a stalled auto or a T56 you're pretty much right, let's say you have two cars with the EXACT same mods, suspension and tires. The manual car will be putting more power to the wheels while the stalled auto will PROBABLY be putting up the better times at the track, and DEFINITELY will have the better 60 foot times, but after that the manual driver (if he's any good) should be trapping at a higher MPH and be reeling the auto in at the end of the 1/4 mile. Stalled auto > Manual from a dig, Manual > Any auto from a roll.
I've never driven an M6 LS1 before, but I know for a fact that they have a definite advantage from the roll. My car, if going between 40-50MPH has something us 4 speed guys like to call, "40MPH lag" where the car accelerates real slowly. I'm sure with a tuner you can tune that out of the car, but I haven't done that to mine, so at those roll speeds it's very slow.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Staging Lane

Probably in a zone where it's too fast for the computer to want to downshift. I'm sure you can get the computer calibrated to downshift at higher rpms so it puts the car in a better powerband.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

big block and a 4-speed.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

auto's win races
Old 08-22-2011, 03:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
auto's win races
yeah if you cant drive with a Man pedal!!
Old 08-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Banned

Quick Reply: Auto vs manual?