General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help..Car idles rough when stopped

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 09:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help..Car idles rough when stopped

Hi,
I had shipped the 427 Camaro two months back and I have received it from the port. I brought her home and gave her a jump start. The car started fine at first, I let her idle for 10 minutes since it hasnt been started since June 23rd, The tank didn't have any fuel in it so I drove it to the closest gas station and the car was about to turn off because of the fuel but I got to the station and filled her up. I drove her wiht respect for a few miles and left the car idling for about 30 minutes. The next day I started the car, it would idle very rough and actually turn off if I don't press the accelerator pedal, moments later I get the Check Engine light. The car drives ok but at idle it goes very low then turns off. The local mechanic I know went over the small things: plugs-wires-fuel filter-o2 sensor and maf but they seem to be working fine. He couldn't pull out the "engine light" with his scanner or the Tech II.
What would you guys recommedn doing, I need to get this issue resolved since the car still doesnt have any plates and needs to be working properly to pass inspection and registration.

Thanks and any input is appreciated
Old 08-22-2011, 01:40 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you replace the fuel filter?

Did he confirm the 02 sensors were switching properly and within range? When they are failing they won't give you a code in most cases till its totally failed or running really badly. 02 sensors will go bad if a car sits too long, especially with LT's. Happened to me last month, my car sat for 4 months, they both were bad.

Fuel injectors can be dirty too. Under acceleration the missing or hesitation will go away....but at idle they will cause idling issues.

Did you clean your MAF?

Old 08-23-2011, 08:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

checked the o2's and maf. will go over the fuel filter but the pump should be fine since it drives ok and it idles ok sometimes but other times it goes real low then turns off.