General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

power steering

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question power steering

whats up fellas? the power steering fluid(oil) keeps comming out from the the powersteering cap when i drive it for around 30 min. i got a new cap, and samething happend. does anyone know why this is happening. does it have something to do with the hoses or the oil cooler? my money is on the oil cooler but any other oppinion will be helpful. thanks
Old 08-26-2011, 04:03 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You have one of these metal pipes (factory PS fluid cooler) in the upper radiator hose............

Attached Thumbnails power steering-dsc01665.jpg  
Old 08-26-2011, 05:08 PM
Teching In

Yeah, is that what it is? It has two hoses one to ps pump and the other in the bottom next to pressure line hose.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:45 PM
Banned

Most likely. Get rid of it, replace it with a full length all rubber upper radiator hose and install your own aftermarket power steering fluid cooler. About $40.00 and 20 minutes and its a done deal. DO NOT buy another one of those pieces of junk from the dealership.

You need to flush all the old power steering fluid out too, its got coolant in it now. Its easy.

Go here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...cooler+success

Old 08-27-2011, 11:44 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The fluid is contaminated. Poor cooling will make it worse.

First, flush and change your fluid. (That will immediately solve the problem.) If you go with better cooling, the new fluid should last you longer.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Might want to check the radiator and such aswell. Tons of powersteering fluid leaked into the cooling system from my cracked powersteering cooler.

I got a 40 dollar kit from car quest and it took 15 mins. Way more worth it.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:46 PM
Teching In

ok peaple just got my ps cooler and the radiator hose. before i get started one quick queastion. does the power steering have a drain plug and where is it located? any other tips before i get started please let me know, thanks and ill keep u guys posted.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by romeric
ok peaple just got my ps cooler and the radiator hose. before i get started one quick queastion. does the power steering have a drain plug and where is it located? any other tips before i get started please let me know, thanks and ill keep u guys posted.
If you remove the hose from the port on the bottom of the reservoir, thats as close to a drain as you'll get. It will drain almost all the fluid out of the reservoir.

While you're at it......do a complete flush AFTER you install the new cooler and have not yet reattached the hose to the bottom of the reservoir.

Power Steering Fluid Flush:

Jack up the front of the car and put it on jack stands so you can turn the wheels left and right.

Engine and fluids….COLD.

Remove the hose that attaches to the bottom of the reservoir. Immediately cap that port with a vacuum port type rubber cap so the fluid doesn't pour out. You can buy assorted cap kits at the auto parts store. Or you can use a 2 foot piece of 3/8" heater hose to quickly slip on the port and just point the other end up higher than the reservoir cap so none comes out. Tape it or clamp it in place.

The hose you just removed from the reservoir.......Point it down under the car into a drain pan. This is the hose either coming from the factory cooler (if you have one).....or its coming from the rack (if you do not have the factory cooler). Either way, doesn't matter.

Have a friend hold that hose into the pan and keep his thumb over the end till you two guys are ready. The entire flush is a matter of 2 minutes.

Have another friend with 4 new OPEN bottles of PS fluid ready to start dumping it into the reservoir.

You get in the car and start the engine.

As you turn the wheels FULL right and left have your friend pour new fluid into the reservoir as the level drops. It could drop fast so be ready to pour. Fluid will come shooting out of the hose into the pan.

As soon as the friend holding the hose sees clean new fluid coming out into the pan.............stop the engine.
(if the friend that is pouring fluid in ever sees the reservoir about to run dry because he cannot pour it in fast enough, simply have him tell you to shut the engine off. Top it off and start the engine again. Don't let it run dry.)

Put the hose back onto the reservoir, clamp it. Top it off with PS fluid.

Your done.

CHECK to see if during this project you spilled any power steering fluid onto or into the alternator. If you did, simply drench it with WD-40 or SeaFoam spray to clean it. Then rinse it real good with hose water. Go for a 10 minute drive, take a bottle of fluid with you in case you hear any noise you can pull over immediately and top it off. Then come back and check the level one more time. Its fine to take the cap off when its hot. Top off if needed.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:10 PM
Teching In

Ok people finished installing the cooler. It worked nicely nomore ps fluid coming out the cap. Still need to rethigten a hose a bit. But other than that its a good idea. Thanks fir all u guys input.