General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Grinding/dragging noise that mech can't figure out

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 11:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding/dragging noise that mech can't figure out

So I recently bought a '99 Z/28. The seller said it needed a RR wheel bearing. No biggie I thought. Well, I got the car safetied and the tech swore he couldn't hear the noise (which is really loud and annoying). I have brought it back to the shop again last week. This time they indicated that the rear end might be done and said I'd be looking at between $900-$1200 for a repair.

The thing is, the sound seems to be coming from the RR. I have heard diff noises. This does not sound anything like a diff to me. It sounds like (and I know this isn't the case but for the sake of describing it) when drum brakes need to be replaced.

The car also has its ABS and ASR warning lights on. I'm thinking wheel bearing. Anyone out there experience a similar problem/noise? I haven't had this car long enough to be familiar with the common issues yet so I'm looking for some direction since the mechanic (who was recomended to me as being a kind of f-body deity) seems to be just grasping at straws...and possibly deaf.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Have you looked at the caliper?? The wheels at their inner sides....do they look good. Could be loose caliper....
Old 08-29-2011, 12:12 AM
wrencher

Originally Posted by chaman
Have you looked at the caliper?? The wheels at their inner sides....do they look good. Could be loose caliper....
Yes agreed could be the rear brake or even the parking brake.
They are seprate, the parking brake shoes ride inside the rotor's hat, could also be a problem in there.
Have to see if the ABS issue is related to the RR wheel speed sensor too.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:19 AM
11 Second Club

It could be a loose caliper, or something wrong with the brakes in general. When do you hear the noise? Braking or cruising down the road?

Jack the car up safely in the rear, and spin the LR wheel and listen. Shouldnt hear much, if anything. Now spin the RR wheel and listen. If the RR wheel bearing is bad or is going bad you should hear a grinding/growling. If you do, replace the bearing. If you dont, pull the wheel and inspect your pads/rotors/calipers.

After that, you should have found out whats causing the noise.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:29 AM
Teching In

Wow! Thanks for the quick replies everybody. The noise can be heard at anything above about 15km/hr. It's more pronounced when turning. It sounds like I'm on the right path. And I think I'll be looking for a new shop. I don't feel comfortable with this shop I have been going to. Anyone out there reside in the Burlington/Hamilton, ON area?
Old 08-29-2011, 12:33 AM
11 Second Club

Is it more pronounced when turning right or left? Does it go away or get quieter when turning the opposite way??
Old 08-29-2011, 12:51 AM
Teching In

If memory serves, it's more pronouced when turning left. But to be honest, I'm going to have to drive it again to make sure. I haven't had enough time to spend with the car yet...

Last edited by Fbody Barbie; 08-29-2011 at 12:51 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-29-2011, 12:57 AM
11 Second Club

If its more pronounced when turning left then from everything else you've stated its the RR wheel bearing. Just jack the car up like I said and spin the RR wheel. You should hear/feel a grinding/growling.

Let us know what you find.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:34 AM
Teching In

Thanks Stippy. I will.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

You might have to put the car on jack stands and put it in gear to be able to hear it. Just spinning the wheel doesn't always work. The reason is the disc brakes are going to drag some which will cause some noise and if it has limited slip you can be turning both tires(if the rear is locked in)

If you don't hear it till 15km and above I doubt you are going to be able to spin it fast enough to hear it anyway.

With the car in the air and in gear you can use a stehoscope to pin point where it's coming from. I don't suggest this unless you have some good mechanical skills. This may be best for the mechanic to do. Also the rear wheels have bearings that are in the axle tube and are not removable as a unit like the fronts are.

Good luck getting it fixed.