General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Operation: Leakproof

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 12:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Operation: Leakproof

With the passing of Irene, I noticed some more water in my hatch, except in the spare tire well this time. -_-

I'm hoping the weather for tomorrow is going to hold up, even though I planned to install my new head-unit, I may as well put that install on hold.

Upon a quick dis-assembly today, I did notice there's at least 1-2 portions the the hatch seal the is lose. (i.e. pulls off the mounting surface with very little force.) So, as of right now, I'm nearly 100% certain that's the cause for my occasional flooding.

Would it be entirely appropriate to use RTV on the seal to the mating surface, or is there a better product to look into?

But, in the process I also discovered half my tail light grommets were missing or dry rotted. One to two areas had some slight surface rust. So, I'm going to seal the tail lights up with some RTV tomorrow.

While I'm on the ball, I'm going to finally get around to readjusting my driver window due to the occasional drips I get when driving in the rain. Approximately in the middle of the window, so I'm almost definite it's just the adjustment.

Lastly, I got up to the windshield... And to my surprise, I found the seal along the perimeter to pull off rather easily (and GOOEY!). Which, even through my untrained eye, doesn't seem right. I've been looking online for the GM Urethane Adhesive kit.. Can't find a damn thing. It's probably just an overpriced kit or selection of items I can find at Lowe's in the morning.

Anyone have suggestions for the windshield? Would cleaning the existing (apparent non-sealing) goo out and once again using RTV be okay, or should I look into something a little tougher? I never had to do a windshield seal before. I'm just hoping it hasn't leaked to the point my A-Pillars are rusty and floorboard and firewall as well! Than again, I'm not to certain if it's leaking. Some days, the carpet feels damp, but not wet. Than, I start feeling around and start to believe it's just damp due to the weather/humidity.

Regardless, I think I'll spend the 1-2 hours to strip the interior, pull the carpet back, look for any other visible signs of leakage, and seal my potential leaks.

If the weather is appropriate, and I wake up in a good enough mood, I'm going to document and photograph everything, just for fun. I'm sure it'll help someone else down the road.

So, if you have any good sealant recommendations other than good ol' RTV, please let me know! Gotta wake up early to make a Lowe's trip.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

do not use rtv for leaks, there is stuff for that. and the seal around the windshield was only a molding, put it back on. if you have leaks, the proper way of finding them is to hang a hose over the car, you want to simulate rain falling. you could also have somebody squirting the hose. some one needs to be inside said vehicle, and a shaded area is suggested. your looking in areas that you suspect are leaking.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

No, I'm actually looking at areas that are known to leak, and that show evidence on my vehicle.

As for you stating that the windshield is nothing more than molding, could you explain other threads that state it could leak? As well as the TSB explains it?

Other than that, what's the issue of using RTV?
Old 08-30-2011, 03:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use GM seam sealer for body stuff- no silicone (vinegar acid=rust) it's made for sealing where body panels meet. In fact, you can see where the factory used it prior to sending the car off to the paint shop.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pewter2002
Use GM seam sealer for body stuff- no silicone (vinegar acid=rust) it's made for sealing where body panels meet. In fact, you can see where the factory used it prior to sending the car off to the paint shop.
Isn't that stuff permanent? Not like I take my tail lights out everyday, but that stuff is rough.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Yes the seam sealer is permanent. I wouldn't use that on anything you ever hope to take off again. They do make clear windshield RTV(if you want to call it that).

Have you got into the back of the car and have someone shoot it with a garden hose or pressure washer to see if you can narrow down the leak?
Old 08-31-2011, 01:42 AM
On The Tree

too many different products -_-.

I spent an hour in lowe's today and couldn't decide on which route to go.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the stuff i have used, is 3m products super weatherstrip and gasket adhesive. this is good for attaching loose seals and such, buteral is what they used to use for windshields it came in rolls and was a pain to use. most windshield guys have a gun that is heated to apply this stuff now. if your seal's are the problem new ones are the way to go, you could also try applying dielectric grease, i apply it to my seals once a year it keeps them pliable and moist, so far i have no leaks.