General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

rattleing/bad bearing noise... waterpump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rattleing/bad bearing noise... waterpump?

my 1998 camaro is making this noise when it starts up you hear the noise when the engine is cold but when the engine warms up you cant hear it no more it sounds like a bad bearing on a pulley or something but i think its the water pump but not sure temp gauge is working fine no over heating there was not very much play on the water pump pulley at all hard to explain the sound but it still runs and drives perfectley fine. it also kinda sounds like a rattling sound but its really hard to explain please watch and let me know what you think thanks!

watch video here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0aIDfhblBk
Old 09-05-2011, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by swavely
my 1998 camaro is making this noise when it starts up you hear the noise when the engine is cold but when the engine warms up you cant hear it no more it sounds like a bad bearing on a pulley or something but i think its the water pump but not sure temp gauge is working fine no over heating there was not very much play on the water pump pulley at all hard to explain the sound but it still runs and drives perfectley fine. it also kinda sounds like a rattling sound but its really hard to explain please watch and let me know what you think thanks!

watch video here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0aIDfhblBk
come on guys i need to figure out what this is....
Old 09-05-2011, 08:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Noisy AIR pump. It shuts off once the coolant reaches a predetermined temp and wont come on until it is cold again.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by pewter2002
Noisy AIR pump. It shuts off once the coolant reaches a predetermined temp and wont come on until it is cold again.
are you 100% sure because i cant take any risks of breaking down on the highway getting stuck even thoguht i always have my cell phone.... also i just noticed might be because its getting colder or something but i dont think this is the case my car when starts idles around 1500 rpms but if i shift into like 1st or drive or something it will drop to like 1200 rpms but in N or Park stays at 1500 rpms but i think once i have it started a little while it stays down at 1000 rpms what is the normal idle for a 1998 camaro thats a v6 and automatic?
Old 09-05-2011, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by pewter2002
hey this is a v6 does my car even have one???
Old 09-05-2011, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

I had that same sound upon start -up and it went away after starting to drive. This went on for about a week. Turned out to be my compressor clutch. I'd suggest taking off the belts and spinning all pulleys. You'll find it pretty quick. Good Luck!
Old 09-05-2011, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by AlamoTA
I had that same sound upon start -up and it went away after starting to drive. This went on for about a week. Turned out to be my compressor clutch. I'd suggest taking off the belts and spinning all pulleys. You'll find it pretty quick. Good Luck!
to remove the serpinetine belt all i gottas do is push down on the tensioner and it should come right off right? if it is the compresser then what? cause that can be expensive. i think
Old 09-06-2011, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

Correct; push down on the tensioner and slide the belt off. Make sure you have the schematic of the routing so you can reinstall. Once off, just spin/rotate all your pulleys. If one is bad, you'll see wobbling, feel/hear grinding. I'd look for metal shavings around the shaft as well. If it's the compressor clutch, you can replace just that part for about $100, depending on where you buy it.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by AlamoTA
Correct; push down on the tensioner and slide the belt off. Make sure you have the schematic of the routing so you can reinstall. Once off, just spin/rotate all your pulleys. If one is bad, you'll see wobbling, feel/hear grinding. I'd look for metal shavings around the shaft as well. If it's the compressor clutch, you can replace just that part for about $100, depending on where you buy it.
i took the belt completley off turn each pulley no wobbly pulleys or noises know what!?

Quick Reply: rattleing/bad bearing noise... waterpump?