General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Pcv question

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 10:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pcv question

I just had a brand new ls1 put in my Camaro and I picked it up Friday and it smoked like a freight train and burned a quart of oil in less than 20 minutes any ideas on what this might be?
Old 09-06-2011, 09:52 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by derekatnip45
I just had a brand new ls1 put in my Camaro and I picked it up Friday and it smoked like a freight train and burned a quart of oil in less than 20 minutes any ideas on what this might be?
What color was the smoke?
Was it constantly coming out the pipes?
Or only when you hit the throttle pedal?

Who broke-in the engine? And how was it done?

No way a PCV system can suck up 1 quart in 20 minutes unless it was directly attached to a pickup tube in the oil pan..... lol

Are the heads and parts also new?? Maybe your valve seals are completely shot?

Old 09-06-2011, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

Completely new everything but intake it hasn't been broken in it only had 30 miles on it when I took it back it wasn't leaking it was white smoke it's burning it
Old 09-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Banned

Completely new everything but intake it hasn't been broken in it only had 30 miles on it when I took it back it wasn't leaking it was white smoke it's burning it
An engine is fully broken in within 2-3 miles. Or on the dyno doing 4-5 pulls. Hopefully you have gone WOT a bunch of times already...if you didn't than its too late to break it in properly and seat the rings the way they should be seated in the cylinders.

Also......Sometimes people have a brand new engine installed along with a RICH tune.....and that will cause "gas washing" of the rings in the first 5-10 miles. If that happens there is nothing that can be done exceot a re-hone of the cylinders and new rings. It causes MASSIVE oil burning.
Believe me...I know...it happened to a brand new 436ci stroker LS6 I had built. I was back in 2 months to have the engine pulled out for a rebuild...it sucked. Thank heaven for full warranties.......

If you are burning WHITE smoke you either gas washed the cylinders.....or maybe just bad luck and one or more of the rings are broken and oil is getting in big time.......or valve seals are bad in the head(s).

If its constant white smoke at all rpms, the whole time you're driving....its usually a ring issue.

If its white smoke only when you nail the throttle from a steady cruising speed....its usually bad valve seal(s).

Read this about break-in.........an engine must be taken to WOT within a few miles to seat the rings properly and have a tight engine........this really isn't an argument anymore, its the way it needs to be done. FROM WHAT I'VE BEEN TOLD......EVERY single LSx engine is put right onto the engine dyno and run HARD for its first miles.......
http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Also...when people talk about engine "break-in"....its not the whole engine...its just the "rings" and how they are seated. Thats whats being broke-in...... Yes, there's allot of metal shavings that a new engine produces (sheds) in the first 500 miles as things settle...but thats why you do 5 oil changes within the first 500 miles, if you want to protect the engine properly during those first 500 miles. Oil filter will catch most, but certainly not all of it. Looking at the oil pan bolt and seeing tons of metal shavings at 50, 100, 200, 300 and 500 miles proves how much metal shavings roam around the engine during the 500 mile internal parts (brean-in) period.

Take the PCV hose off the intake and cap the intake port.....go for a ride and see if the white smoke stops.....if your lucky than it is some kind of crazy PCV issue...that would be awesome and easy to fix. It might take a long ride, like 20-30 miles to burn off all the oil that might be in there. You can also open the intake and stick a long piece of wood or those long q-tips in there, see if there's a ton of oil pooling in the bottom of the intake.

Last edited by LS6427; 09-06-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

Ok thanks and the shop that installed it drove it for a good twenty miles and it was a brand new crate engine from gm so shouldn't the rings be set ? If it's something major I have a 3 yr 100k mile warranty but let's cross our fingers its something simple ha thanks for the info
Old 09-06-2011, 10:31 PM
Banned

Ok thanks and the shop that installed it drove it for a good twenty miles and it was a brand new crate engine from gm so shouldn't the rings be set ? If it's something major I have a 3 yr 100k mile warranty but let's cross our fingers its something simple ha thanks for the info
If they drove it easy, they didn't do you any favors as far as seating the rings properly. You should do a compression check on all cylinders......post up the numbers. Have a totally different shop/mechanic do it though.

I would also pull two plugs on each side of the engine and check them for raw wet oil. Bad valve seals will drip oil right onto the plugs after engine shut down.