General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Test Only Smog question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test Only Smog question

Took my 01 SS to get a Test Only smog today and was told the evap system wasnt ready. My question is: How do i get it ready? The car's computer was modified with a Hypertech program which i put back to stock a week ago (about 50-60 miles ago). There are no other mods or bolt-ons. thanks
Old 11-08-2011, 05:27 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Question....about smog...but off topic. Something I've always wondered.

What if you registered your car in another state that doesn't have emissions testing, like at a friend or family members address. Use that as your permanent address and never worry about smog?

Can that be done? If not...why won't it work?

Old 11-08-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2chevyss
Took my 01 SS to get a Test Only smog today and was told the evap system wasnt ready. My question is: How do i get it ready? The car's computer was modified with a Hypertech program which i put back to stock a week ago (about 50-60 miles ago). There are no other mods or bolt-ons. thanks
I thought ~2001 and up are allowed to have one readiness monitor be not ready...

If you drive around a few days more it should come ready.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2chevyss
There are a BUNCH of other I/M monitors that can pass, you should only need a few to pass. EVAP only runs once in a blue moon, just as the tide is coming in. It can take multiple drive cycles for it to be ready. Now if its "Not Supported" thats a different story. But either way my wifes Trans Am passed a test only with no cats or AIR just a PCM reflash. Basically what I'm saying is not all monitors should have to be ready to pass. They should be looking for supported and/or failed.

Originally Posted by LS6427
Question....about smog...but off topic. Something I've always wondered.

What if you registered your car in another state that doesn't have emissions testing, like at a friend or family members address. Use that as your permanent address and never worry about smog?

Can that be done? If not...why won't it work?

If you brought it back to that state for testing I imagine you could do that. Dunno how it would look if you got pulled over with a car registered in one state and drivers license from another, but in theory maybe it would work.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FiredUpZ28
If you brought it back to that state for testing I imagine you could do that. Dunno how it would look if you got pulled over with a car registered in one state and drivers license from another, but in theory maybe it would work.
I'm talking a "permanent address" in another state with no emissions.......you live in your state that has emissions. Your license is issued from the other state with the permanent address. Thats it. You can drive any car you want in any other state at any time.

Nothing a cop can do. Its your permanent address. Doesn't mean you can't live in your state at another house with a license from another state. If ever asked, where is your permanent address, you show them your license from the other state and say I sometimes stay here. Goodbye officer......

Old 11-09-2011, 09:35 PM
Teching In

I'm in cali too bro, just drive it, for another 50 miles, evap is usually the last monitor to come up, so if you have a hand held scanner, check for monitors, or just drive it though city mainly. I hope this helps.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS6427
I'm talking a "permanent address" in another state with no emissions.......you live in your state that has emissions. Your license is issued from the other state with the permanent address. Thats it. You can drive any car you want in any other state at any time.

Nothing a cop can do. Its your permanent address. Doesn't mean you can't live in your state at another house with a license from another state. If ever asked, where is your permanent address, you show them your license from the other state and say I sometimes stay here. Goodbye officer......

I know a ton of people that do that here in TN. You're right there's nothing they can do about it. I actually got an exemption because I go to school in a county that doesn't have emissions and wouldn't be home for a while. I took it in when I went home just to see if it would pass and sure enough it did. Passed visual and scanner. No cats and my EVAP is tuned out so no problem there.

OP just drive around some more. When you put it back to stock on the hypertech, you basically reset the EVAP and need to drive around for it to get back to "Ready" status. If all else fails, find a tuner and he'd probably do it for a couple bucks/ beer. GL man.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back in the mid 90s when I first came to Texas i plated my 79 T/A at my parents house in Indiana for 4 years until I sold it so I wouldn't have to pass emissions here or have a front license plate on it. It worked, I did register it under my Moms name on to be safe in Indiana.