General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Leaking oil, not 100% sure if it's coming from behind intake.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 01:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Leaking oil, not 100% sure if it's coming from behind intake.....

My car has been dripping oil for a while now, and has gotten worse. When you look under the car, it is all over the bottom of the transmission, and looks like it is coming from where the transmission meets the engine block. But, my cousin put one of those camera things on a wire behind the intake, and it looked like there was quite a bit of oil back there. Now, what should I do? Replace the cam sensor o-ring, or replace the oil sending unit? Which is more likely to be the culprit. Are there any chances at all that this could still be from the rear main seal, or that plate seal leaking, and getting oil up there behind the intake? I've looked around the site, and I saw a lot of posts about leaks, but not a lot of definitive answers. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2011, 02:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Most likely it's up top, pull the intake to find where it's exactly coming from.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fbodlovr
My car has been dripping oil for a while now, and has gotten worse. When you look under the car, it is all over the bottom of the transmission, and looks like it is coming from where the transmission meets the engine block. But, my cousin put one of those camera things on a wire behind the intake, and it looked like there was quite a bit of oil back there. Now, what should I do? Replace the cam sensor o-ring, or replace the oil sending unit? Which is more likely to be the culprit. Are there any chances at all that this could still be from the rear main seal, or that plate seal leaking, and getting oil up there behind the intake? I've looked around the site, and I saw a lot of posts about leaks, but not a lot of definitive answers. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Ive seen more oil sending units leak on older GM cars (usually where it plugs in) and I guess with the pressure on the one not the other it would be more likely however like the other poster its just a guess and you should pull the intake and find out for sure. I would rather take the time to know than toss an unneeded part at the car
Old 09-10-2011, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the replies guys. I really appreciate it. I do have a couple more quick guestions. How hard is it to remove the intake? Also, are the oil sending unit, and cam sensor very expensive? One other question. When you put the sensors in(providing they are new-especially the cam sensor) is there any type of special caliberation that is needed, especially for the cam sensor?

Thanks again you guys!

By the way, I'm guessing this would be a good time to possibly put an LS6 intake on it? =-)
Old 02-07-2012, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

Ok, I guess I'll bring this back from the dead. Maybe someone else will be able to help me out now.

I replaced the cam sensor, and the oil pressure sending unit, and the leak is still there. It looks like on top of the block, between the intake, and the heads, a dirty oil, or something. It isn't really oily. It might be just a bunch of dirt build up over time. But, the leak is still showing from behind the engine, and running all over the bottom of the trans. I've seen people mention simply the valve covers, the little plug behind the plate covering the rear main seal, the rear main seal, the oil pan gasket, etc.

Anyone have any good ideas on what this could be, or what it usually is? I took off the intake just to replace the OPSU and cam sensor because I thought that's where it was coming from. Now all that time and money is gone.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Old 02-07-2012, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

U say between the intake and the heads? Mabe the valley cover is jacked? Or if you still have a pcv system mabe the lines are dry rotted.....
Old 02-07-2012, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

It's kind of in the front of the engine too. It just looks really dirty. I don't remember when/if I've ever changed the pcv valve. I do know i've taken it out though, and shook it and it rattled which from what I remember indicates that it's still good. I don't know if there is enough oil going underneath the valley cover to even leak out, is there? From what I saw, I'm not sure that that's the problem.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a very similar, if not exact leak. Oil all over the back of the intake, around valve covers and around intake. I plan on pulling the intake this weekend to find out exactly what it is. They aren't hard to take off.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Could be time to replace your valve cover gaskets.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a feeling my leak personally is somewhere near the rear of the intake, so much buildup behind that intake near the firewall its hard to tell. Plan on pulling intake, cleaning it all up and cleaning the gaskets as they are reusable to a point as long as they arent ruined but at least once it's clean and dry you can see exactly where its coming from and then replace said part.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

I have this problem too..
Old 03-01-2012, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

What is this "oil leak" you speak of?
Old 03-01-2012, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

While you have your Valve Covers off Buy New Gaskets, rebuild the PCV System. Do a Search a few of us have posted how to do it and what is needed. Oil leaks are normally just a pain in the ***. Oh yes check your sending unit also.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok I had the same symptoms as I stated earlier and everyone seems to have the same conclusion and that is the PCV system fails and blows oil out the back of the intake and sure enough that is correct. Tore mine down and currently still in the process of cleaning up. I got new intake & valve cover gaskets ready to go on and will buy parts to build my PCV as well tomorrow. Here are some images to show you what the issue is. I would have never been able to tell that this is where the leak was coming from without tearing into it.

http://db.tt/h4jvfMzG
http://db.tt/UNMCLcm8
http://db.tt/aYMva6Kf
http://db.tt/LXwA64CA
Old 03-03-2012, 02:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, that's where it usually comes apart, at the rubber Y-splitter.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can they not build a hose to withstand engine oil? I probably need to do this on my Z, but interesting enough I have a 2001 BMW x5 v8 im working on now for some trans issues, but it has an oil vapor hose blown out as well - looks like the hose just rotted away!
Old 03-03-2012, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well it's rubber, they shouldve used a hard plastic Y connector.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Can that much oil really come out of that hose? Mine will drip simply from sitting there over a weekend. Is it maybe just the oil still working it's was out from all of the cracks/crevices? Do you have any more pics of this on the car? I don't remember exactly where that goes towards the back. My car can leak out 2 quarts in 3-4000 miles or so. Are you guys seeing that much?

By the way, are there any write ups on how to fix this, or what parts to use to re-build this? Does GM not offer that part anymore?
Old 01-03-2013, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

I never got a response to this, and I'm looking to go ahead and do the 04+ ls6 valley cover conversion. My harness is dry rotted in the front where the pcv is, and in the rear. I was told this is probably where the oil is leaking from. Can quite a bit of oil really drip out of the pcv harness there in the back? I lose 2 quarts fairly easily in 3k miles. I was told that where the pcv hose connects to the driver side head, is right where the oil shoots onto the head, which is a reason why so much oil can get into the pcv harness. Is that true? Do you guys think the ls6 conversion would cure this?

Also, some people mentioned a catch can as well, but I'm not wanting to have a problem with having the oil smell in the cabin....which I currently have, I'm guessing due to the cracked pcv harness. Wouldn't the 04+ ls6 valley cover basically drip the oil back into the engine because of those small little holes?
Old 01-03-2013, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

There's no guarantee that the LS6 valley cover will solve your oil consumption issue, plus you'll have to cap the DR side valve cover and the PS rear tube along with cutting on the block for clearance to use the LS6 valley cover. The replacement PCV hose/tube assembly doesn't have the rubber Y piece any more it's all plastic so there's no rubber to rot behind the intake anymore. IMO, now if you don't mind doing a little cutting on the block then go with the LS6 valley cover, you'll eliminate the pcv tube assembly around the intake. Furthermore, I would still recommend a good catch-can to keep the amount of oil vapors going through the intake and heads to a minimum.

Okay the pcv system is probably cheaper, it's about $70

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 01-03-2013 at 02:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Leaking oil, not 100% sure if it's coming from behind intake.....