General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How to change blinker housing?

Old 09-14-2011, 06:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default How to change blinker housing?

Hey everyone!
I'm in the middle of changing out both of my blinker/DRL housing bc of bad corrosion, but before I start cutting away could someone tell me what and where to cut and make my splices? Everyone talks about how easy this is to do, but I just want to make sure I'm doing it correctly. I assume I will be cutting/splicing right next to the old housing, but I could be wrong so thats where I need your input. Also, if there are other steps I need to do (preventative tips) I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks!!
Old 09-15-2011, 08:56 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 321 Likes on 294 Posts

Are you taking out a bad housing or replacing the socket? They are separate.

The housing attaches with three nuts behind the bumper. Look up through he access hatch in the bottom of the bumper and you'll see them.

Turn the socket to the left in the housing and it will come free.

The socket consists of three parts: a housing, the wires going in to the socket, and a socket insert. To replace the socket with no splicing:
- Note which wires go in which positions on the socket housing.
- Take a screw driver and pry the socket insert (the part that holds the bulb) out with a screw driver. After you do this, the wires will pull out with connectors on the end of them. If those connectors are not corroded, (they should not be) then take apart your replacement socket the same way and put it all back together.

If you don't already have a replacement socket, you can get just the replacement housing and insert by themselves.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks man!
Yeah its the socket I'm trying to change. That sounds easy enough, I appreciate it

Search this Thread