General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Another A/C not cold question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 01:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another A/C not cold question

When I first got this car in Oct of last year, the A/C worked great. Not ICE cold but cold enough this summer that it kept me cool. Anyway, the other day it quit blowing cold. I noticed it getting a little warmer but I thought it was just the summer getting hotter and hotter. I can see the compressor kick on (start spinning) but it doesn't ever shut off and the air isn't cold. Could it be the condensor is just dirty? I cleaned out a bunch of crap from in front of it thinking it couldn't hurt and sprayed it down and picked some stuff out of it but didn't remove it and THOROUGHLY clean it. I had a spare bottle of R134 with a gauge and it seems to be full. I'm just wondering if I need to take it out or if there is another problem going on here?
Old 09-23-2011, 01:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Alright I'll bite.

Most likely you are short on freon because of a leak that occurs around the compressor.

2 things you can do. Put 1 extra large can of freon back in the system. This should work well for about sox months if it's only a minor leak. On my brothers camaro the leak was minor enough that it would only let freon out and would not let air in.

If it's a medium to major leak it has let freon out and it has let air into the system. You need to rent a vacuum pump tool for the ac system at autozone and suction the air and freon out of the system. You can attempt to add freon however if you system is still reading 50 psi or higher after the system has been running on high it won't help. My trans am needed to be vacuumed out, I tried putting more freon in and it made the pressure sensor in the lines lock the compressor to protect the system

Hope that helps
Old 09-23-2011, 01:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry I made the second part confusing.

You would need to vacuum pump the ac system to get the air out. You would then add m
Old 09-23-2011, 10:53 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If the a/c just quit blowing cold....then its not a dirty condensor. Those condensors can very hot and you will still have cold a/c if the 134 is full.

Dirty condensors cause overheating of coolant.