General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

sudden power steering fluid leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 12:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default sudden power steering fluid leak

had the car since 07 never leaked a drop...drove it to lunch yesterday and it was fine....cranked it up 5 hrs later and the pump was whining and the reservoir was empty

leak is on the drivers side....came out of no where...since the pump and reservoir are on the passenger side i assume they are fine....what should i be looking for? lines, rack?

wont have time to get under there until sunday...what should i be looking for?
Old 09-25-2011, 05:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the boot on the drivers side is ripped to shreads on the steering rack....its leaking from inside there im pretty sure....ima double check around for holes in lines or anything else but im sure i wont find anything...ive never delt with steering stuff before so im wondering if its seals or something in the rack....

on a side note...as i drove from work in cola to walterboro last night at 4am...i noticed my brakes were getting worse...lots of shaking when the pedal was pressed...and when i pulled on to my dads carport the front passenger wheel was sliding across the concrete instead of rolling....guess who missing a caliper mounting bolt...musta back out somewhere down i26 or i95
Old 09-25-2011, 06:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

the seal on the rack is shot.......and a torn boot does not make it any better

Quick Reply: sudden power steering fluid leak