General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Acceleration problems going uphill

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 09:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Acceleration problems going uphill

So my Trans Am has been having "issues" going uphill lately.... While going up any kind of incline at around 40-50 'ish mph the car starts to "jerk" around, shimmy/shake and so on.. it's only uphill...drives fine if I give it some gas and get above 50. What do you guys think...Plugs??..Wires??..Torque Convertor??..Need some input..
Old 09-24-2011, 12:18 AM
TECH Regular

My car does this too. I think it is the torque converter, but not sure. It happens when I go up hill but if I downshift it manually is stops?
Old 09-24-2011, 12:26 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

02 sensor(s) on their way out maybe. If it loads up as you go up the hill with the same throttle....it will run rich. Then when you add some throttle more air gets in and leans it out and runs better.

Have it scanned while idling to see how the 02 sensor(s) are performing. No, you won't get a code until they get really bad.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:05 PM
Teching In

car is Auto, and if i have it in third while going uphill it's fine. i was thinking torque convertor at first, but then i took it to a mechanic yesterday and he said plugs/wires, that's where that idea came from, i wasn't even thinking of that.

Quick Reply: Acceleration problems going uphill