General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

'02 TA won't start -- common culprits?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 12:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 TA won't start -- common culprits?

After doing some searching and reading, I am kind of getting an idea of what things could cause my '02 WS6 to not want to start, however, I'm not sure how to prioritize the fixes based on my symptoms. So hopefully you all aren't tired of repeating yourselves...any help is appreciated.

I recently bought a 2002 WS6 Trans Am and it started and drove great for a week and a half. Then, it sat all day Friday without firing up (I have another car). Come Saturday, I put the key in the ignition, hear the fuel pump start and all the lights go on, and turn the key...nothing. I'm not hearing any sound from the engine bay/starter, all of the lights just shut off until I release the key.

Thinking it was the battery, I took it to AutoZone for a checkup/charge, and the guy says it's a bad battery, but it's on warranty, so he hands me a brand spankin' new one. This morning I pop the new battery in and still nothing.

So:
- Was running fine last week
- Lights and accessories work with key in the "Run" position
- Battery is brand new
- Fuel pump is running
- NO "Security" light
- When trying to start, I can hear all of the electrical shut off, but nothing from the starter
- The contact on the positive cable at the battery is a little corroded

Obviously I will try and clean up the corrosion on the cable first, but if there's anything else I can try first cheaply and easily while I'm in there, I'm all ears!

Thanks guys.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:33 PM
Launching!

Did you charge the battery before putting it in?
Old 09-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Teching In

Well, I literally got it from AutoZone last night, brand new. I asked the guy if it was "ready to go" -- to which he responded yes, it was. Should I have to charge up a brand new battery? I can certainly take it back in and have them give it some juice if that is the case.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the ignition and starter relays under the hood. Check the starter wires to make sure they're getting good connection. See if you are getting a spark from the plugs. Check grounds. And try jumping the car. Lol
Old 09-27-2011, 01:54 PM
Launching!

Yes, you have to charge a new battery. Do you have a electric meter handy? You can check the voltage that way.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99peweterls1
Yes, you have to charge a new battery. Do you have a electric meter handy? You can check the voltage that way.
Well, *****. Perhaps my idea of "ready to go" and that of the AutoZone employee are somewhat different. I will try that first. I have no meter handy.

Originally Posted by babbage1109
Check the ignition and starter relays under the hood. Check the starter wires to make sure they're getting good connection. See if you are getting a spark from the plugs. Check grounds. And try jumping the car. Lol
I did try jumping the car with my Z before replacing the battery. The cables were attached for quite some time...to no avail.

Thanks for the quick replies. I will try a few things today and report back. Guess I should get my hands on a meter, eh?
Old 09-28-2011, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Thumbs down !@#$

Update: So the battery is fine, the cables are corrosion-free and have good connection. (Well, up by the battery, that is. I can't effing get to it down where the starter is.) I swapped in some of the fan relays in for the starter relay (but not the ignition relay) also to no avail. Still simply no sign that the starter even wants to attempt anything at all.

Side rant: I called for a tow last night (I'm in Seattle) to get the car to a shop, because I have neither the time nor tools to do anything further. After waiting AN HOUR for the damn guy, I called the dispatcher saying I had s--- to do, to which he responded that he is still fifteen minutes away. Please note that I can WALK into downtown Seattle from where I live given an hour and fifteen minutes. I said f--- it and so it's still sitting today. I'll try a different company.

So, should I try the relays again? Have a go at the ignition switch in the steering column? I have no idea what I'd be doing there, but I'm sure I can find info in here on how to do it. Or is it pretty likely to be that the starter is toast? It's not even clicking, so I'm hesitant to say that it's getting the signal but just totally incapacitated...
Old 09-28-2011, 02:04 PM
Launching!

It could be the vats on your car acting up research that. Wait is your car a 6 speed. It can be your clutch position sensor came out od adjustment. It could also be your starter going out. Tap on it with a hammer while you get someone to start the car.

Last edited by 99peweterls1; 09-28-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:59 PM
Teching In

It could be the vats on your car acting up research that. Wait is your car a 6 speed. It can be your clutch position sensor came out od adjustment. It could also be your starter going out. Tap on it with a hammer while you get someone to start the car.
Yes, it is a 6-speed. I didn't even know there WAS a clutch position sensor. Where the heck is that, and how would one go about checking it?

The car is lowered pretty significantly, but I guess I could jack it up to see if I could get at the starter with a hammer.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the exact same prioblem from time to time. I even tuned out VATS with my HPTuners and it still has the same issue. I dont think it is something with the clutch position because one time it happened and I had my laptop w/hptuners up and it would not even let me connect to the VCM. I also messed with the starter/ignition relay with no luck.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:07 PM
Staging Lane

the clutch sensor should be on on your pedal assembly. the one on top is your clutch anticipation switch and the one underneath is the clutch sensor for the starter
Old 09-28-2011, 04:18 PM
Launching!

^^ What he said inside the car.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

exact same thing happened to me, was the ignition lock cylinder. I try to turn the car over and nothing.. but when i turn it half way everything works.

my ilc was dirty apparently and it wasnt making contact with the key when i would turn it. Hope that helps
Old 09-28-2011, 04:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bluenightmare
the clutch sensor should be on on your pedal assembly. the one on top is your clutch anticipation switch and the one underneath is the clutch sensor for the starter
^^ What he said inside the car.
Thanks guys, I'll give it a check. How can I know if it's "out of adjustment" and how does one go about getting it back into said adjustment?

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
exact same thing happened to me, was the ignition lock cylinder. I try to turn the car over and nothing.. but when i turn it half way everything works.

my ilc was dirty apparently and it wasnt making contact with the key when i would turn it. Hope that helps
Thanks LeanPocket, this is exactly what is going on. Can I clean/repair it, or just replace it? I will do a search on how to tear this apart and and give it a shot. At any rate, a new ignition lock cylinder at $30 is more appealing to me than a new starter for $160. If it's of any worth, it looks like the key is relatively new -- the resistance pellet isn't as worn down as the one on my Z28. Perhaps the previous owner had a problem before and thought it was the key, and had it replaced?

I appreciate the help guys, it's a lot more useful than a shop telling me I need a new engine or something stupid like that. (There's a shop nearby that might suggest something close. I don't go there.)
Old 09-28-2011, 05:07 PM
Launching!

It will have a push button on the head of the sensor that the clutch pedal arm pushes down and engages. To adjust it you simply have to unplug the wiring harness boot from the back and screw it in or out from the pedal arm.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:13 AM
Teching In

Doing some more research on the site, I think I have it down to either the clutch position sensor or the ignition switch, just based on some of the symptoms that other guys have had. I don't think it's the VATS, since I'm getting gauges lighting up, etc., but no Security light.

I will tackle those this weekend probably and keep you posted. Getting to the ignition switch looks like kind of a PITA, albeit a doable PITA. Is there a way to check the ignition switch before replacing it (with a meter or test light or something) to check that it's good/bad?

Again, thanks so much for those who have contributed. I would have been so lost otherwise.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:03 PM
Launching!

Check fuel pump pressure. Do you have gas in the car? Pull a spark plug wire, hook up an old plug and verify if you have spark. When did you last change out the fuel filter?
Old 10-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Schnell
Check fuel pump pressure. Do you have gas in the car? Pull a spark plug wire, hook up an old plug and verify if you have spark. When did you last change out the fuel filter?
There is plenty of gas in the car, and I just bought the thing a couple weeks ago, so I don't know about the fuel filter. It was running fine until last week or so. Forgive my n00b-ness, but how can I check it for spark if I can't get the engine to turn over?

As an update: I figured I would go and check out the clutch sensor(s?), since it seemed like the easiest thing to do...and there has been mentioned that there's one "above" and "below," however I can only really find one! It's a button on a white plastic threaded housing -- the button is depressed when the clutch is all the way OUT (foot off). (Actually it's a little loose, and doesn't get depressed fully, but most of the way.) Is that the so-called "clutch anticipation" sensor? For the life of me, I can't find one that gets depressed by the clutch pedal when it is all the way in.

Is there any reason to believe the other has been removed? After thinking about it for a while, I did recall the thing almost starting up when my foot wasn't on the clutch; I had grown used to the auto in my Z28, so I got the ol' lurch as the starter went to engage while the car was parked in gear. (Oops.) That was back when I first acquired the car; it started fine for a while after that.

So, am I more likely looking at an ignition switch or starter solenoid? I'm not so excited about jacking the car up and getting underneath to get at the starter parts. (Correct me before I make a mistake: the starter is on the passenger side near the firewall/flywheel side of the engine?)

PS: I have a couple pictures from underneath the dash on my phone, but it's synching up to my computer right now and is otherwise useless at the moment.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:14 PM
Launching!

Sorry. My fault. Read it quickly and thought you were saying it was cranking over but not starting.

I have a 99 6 speed and I just tried a whole bunch of things to see when the car would/would not start.

Basically the only SINGLE thing that would cause my car to not start was if I did not push in the clutch pedal. I believe there is a switch on the top of the clutch assembly (cruise control) and bottom of pedal (your problem). Ensure you don't have any battery issues and my main guess would be some issue w/ your clutch pedal switch.

I've had problems in the past w/ the top CC switch not working and back then my car started fine SO must be a lower switch issue. Check/test/bypass that switch and see if your car starts.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:33 AM
On The Tree

Every once in a while I will go to start my car and I will have to press the clutch pedal to the floor a little harder for it to engage the starter. If that doesn't help you will need to tap the starter solenoid box with a wooden handle and try again. If that's too much hassle for you then I would suggest buying a new starter.

The same thing happened to my dad's 01 Z06. He got tired of having to reach under the car so he just replaved the starter... no issues anymore.