General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Window speed

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 11:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window speed

Is it just me or are the windows slow in these cars? I had to swap out my drivers and it seems like the same speed... Just curious
Old 10-01-2011, 07:50 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

If your drivers and passenger window are the same speed and you used a good motor, (like a Dorman) its just you.

If you used a reman or OEM motor, it may not be just you.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

yeah they're noticeably slower than other cars. there was a sponsor (dont think they are anymore) that sold a kit that speeds them up.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Launching!

They are slow. Replacing it may help but that will slow down in ~~ 2 years. Someone was selling a wiring kit which was a perm fix for the issue. The real issue is there is not enough power/the factory wiring is not enough. This wiring kit that was sold was essentially a wire coming from your battery going to a relay which then went to the window motor.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is what you need.

I have this and it works wonders!
Old 10-02-2011, 08:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TruBloodTransAm
This is what you need.

I have this and it works wonders!

This is exactly what I was talking about. I've never got it myself but everyone that has says very good things about it.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

yep thats what i wad talking about
Old 10-03-2011, 02:57 AM
TECH Regular

i got a reman dorman from oriellys... anyway its still the same speed as passenger but i thought before i replaced it that the passenger wm was going to go soon as well... anyway another question i have is when you roll up and down theres a sound that is kind of a clicking sound but yet a little unexplainable. only on the drivers side window... any thoughts on that one?
Old 10-03-2011, 08:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

i've had that happen to mine as well, actually it just started it a couple days ago. most likely some of the bolts are loose and the gears arent lining up correctly.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by bones_c
i got a reman dorman from oriellys... anyway its still the same speed as passenger but i thought before i replaced it that the passenger wm was going to go soon as well... anyway another question i have is when you roll up and down theres a sound that is kind of a clicking sound but yet a little unexplainable. only on the drivers side window... any thoughts on that one?
I'm pretty sure dorman only makes new motors. Regardless, a reman window motor is just a recipe for (near) future problems.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:13 PM
Staging Lane

I also installed the window fix when I replaced my motors. Works wonders!
Old 10-28-2011, 01:18 AM
TECH Regular

Ok so I believe it was a new motor now after looking at part numbers and what not but after installing this a month ago the window now starts and stops as it wishes... Maybe I need to replace the switch? Also what is the knocking sound I hear while rolling the window up and down... Only on the drivers window...
Old 10-28-2011, 10:23 AM
Save the manuals!

Start with the knocking sound... Is it like a grinding? If so, the motor has become disconnected from the regulator and is grinding the gears. (This could be the source of all your problems if that's the case.)

When the window doesn't move, do you hear the "click" of the express down module working?
Old 10-28-2011, 12:38 PM
TECH Regular

Gears are not grinding... It's just a knocking like sound.. It's done this ever since I bought the car even with the old motor...

When I push the button there is nothing... No noise no clicking no grind nothing... How do I know if it is the switch?
Old 10-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Save the manuals!

Gears are not grinding... It's just a knocking like sound.. It's done this ever since I bought the car even with the old motor...
You need to figure this out first. If you have something inside the door that is binding up, it can cause the motor to "think" that the window is all the way up or all the way down. When this happens, the internal circuitry of the motor will shut it down.

When I push the button there is nothing... No noise no clicking no grind nothing... How do I know if it is the switch?
It may not always be easy to hear. The express down module lives in a plastic pocket under the dash on the side of the trans tunnel. If you can't find anything in the door and need to start tracing electrical, this is probably the best place to start. You should also be able to jump the connector to the module to take it out the equation and confirm if its an issue. (This is rare - usually the problem is in the door.)
Old 11-08-2011, 09:35 AM
TECH Regular

Can I just get the passenger window fix from the link and use it on the drivers side? Eliminating the auto down feature?
Old 11-08-2011, 02:42 PM
Save the manuals!

Can I just get the passenger window fix from the link and use it on the drivers side? Eliminating the auto down feature?
You can use that kit if you bypass the express down module, but... its snake oil and will likely not solve all/any of your problems. The kits just make a bad motor (in normal mechanical condition) look better.

Until you solve the mechanical knocking problem you have, anything you do could be a waste of money. Showing the motor a high voltage is not a magic wand for a mechanical problem. Any mechanical binding will slow the motor down - even with the window kit installed.