General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

No brakes! I hate no brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry No brakes! I hate no brakes!

So the other day I took my FRONT calipers off, took the brake line off and painted the calipers. The car sat overnight with the lines off, so yes air go in them.

Well my pedal goes straight to the floor, no pressure at all. We bled the lines and got the air out, still not working. Master cylinder and brake booster is still good.

My guess it needs to be power bled? Maybe still some air pockets, Or I read somewhere the abs has to be reset?? First time I heard that, but any input is great! Thanks!
Old 10-02-2011, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It has to do with the air getting into the ABS. I had to have mine bled by a shop. I forget how much it cost.

I remember they said something about having to have ABS activated while bleeding or something similar to that. Im sure someone knows the system better than I do (because I dont really know much about it), but I think they did it with a special scan tool for bleeding ABS.

Last edited by Pseudonym; 10-02-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

yeah bleeding abs requires a tech 2 tool. they're expensive as hell. theoretically you can bleed the abs block by jacking up the front, cutting acc power on, and then spinning a front tire as fast as you can while somebody LIGHTLY holds the breaks. in theory this will cause the ABS system to activate and allow you to bleed it. I've never tried it though, so I can't say for sure
Old 10-03-2011, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mai krod
yeah bleeding abs requires a tech 2 tool. they're expensive as hell. theoretically you can bleed the abs block by jacking up the front, cutting acc power on, and then spinning a front tire as fast as you can while somebody LIGHTLY holds the breaks. in theory this will cause the ABS system to activate and allow you to bleed it. I've never tried it though, so I can't say for sure
ive heard that will work, realistically your activating the abs and pumping the air out, keep doing this until you get a pedal, and keep bleeding it until you get a nice steady stream of fluid.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:44 AM
Launching!

I thought the ABS light would come on if there was air in the ABS?

OP, did you bleed your rear brakes too?
Old 10-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JaYZeig
ive heard that will work, realistically your activating the abs and pumping the air out, keep doing this until you get a pedal, and keep bleeding it until you get a nice steady stream of fluid.
Yeah, I read it somewhere and I had a DOH! moment, because it makes perfect sense. all you have to do to bleed the abs is activate the abs channel of the block, then let the air out when its pressurizing. should work pretty well as far as I can tell. since thats really all they're doing with the tech 2 is kicking the abs system on.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

Took my car in, guy said my caliper were switched, even tho I put it back the way I took off. Being the bleeder on the bottom, and the metal part of the brake hose fitting in the groove for it. He said bleeder needs to be on top? Fluid would go everywhere, and if you switch so its on top, the bolt with the hole in it to hold the brake hose on, won't line up to allow juice to flow, I kno this because I switched them to see and it didn't line up. So is the guy right or am I?
Old 10-05-2011, 06:34 AM
Staging Lane

The bleeders always face up, otherwise air gets trapped in the caliper.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

Thanks! Honest mistake! lol
Old 10-08-2011, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, bleeders on top. I'd gravity beed all the wheels for like 20 minutes or so a wheel and see what the pedal feels like. Keep the master full. Generally air doesn't get too far into the ABS unit because the solenoids shouldn't have moved from their position, I bet gravity bleeding will help a ton.