General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

HELP! Why do I keep ripping belts in half? Pics

Old 10-04-2011, 06:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Why do I keep ripping belts in half? Pics

Yesterday my Serpentine belt broke in half. Figured it was just old and needed to be replaced. Bought a new one and put it on myself (first time) made sure it was routed correctly numerous times. Didn't get but a block down the street when I started to smell burning rubber and this one broke in half also. So I figured that one of the pulleys is seized up. Popped the hood and checked All Pulleys and they all spin freely. Except for a smooth large black one on Top that the belt rides underneath. Not sure the name of it Underdrive pulley???

Should this pulley spin freely without a belt On? Or no cause it's connected to **** inside the motor?

Then I noticed all the burnt up melted rubber under my hood.

And when i lower hood it all lines up with the Power Steering Pulley, which spins freely. But I noticed that i can pull it back and forth about 1/16". Would that be my problem? Can this be tightened or should I replace with new pulley?

Been going thru Power Steering fluid quicker than ussual also, not sure if that makes a difference in THIS issue, or if it's just an unrelated leak somewhere.

Thanks in advance, any info is big Help to this noob. Lol
Old 10-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Holy ****......you might be the 1 in a million we've been waiting for with a seized water pump. That big bell looking thing connects to the water pump. It should spin.

You win nothing though....lol

Old 10-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Banned

If you're not dripping power steering fluid out of the reservoir or the bottom, or the hose on the bottom passengers side port....you probably need a new cap. That cap might not be holding pressure, which isn;'t really much pressure. But if you're running low on fluid its going somewhere. Looks like maybe its leaking from the shaft seal on the power steering fluid reservoir.

Do you have one of these metal pipes in your upper radiator hose???? picture.
Attached Thumbnails HELP! Why do I keep ripping belts in half? Pics-dsc01665.jpg  
Old 10-04-2011, 07:22 PM
Teching In

Lmfao the way my luck is going I'm not expecting to win anything. Lol. Broke an outer tie rod end 2 days ago, but that was a simple fix with a quick google search.

Replacing this water pump looks much more harder.
Any brands you can reccomend? Got any tips, links, or think of any specialty tools I might need to rent or purchase? How-To's?

I'm not sure about the metal pipe in rad just yet, I'm not at home. Heading to parts store. Have to have this fixed in AM to get to work.

Thanks for the reply bro, I was searching for an hr. Trying to figure out what that Bell looking thing was. Lol
Old 10-04-2011, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

its a easy install. just undo the belt and drain the coolant. disconnect the hoses goin to the pump, undo the bolts and pull it off. Then replace. Just go with a stock replacement for your local store. Unless you are goin for performace modifications. the Meziere electric water pump is a nice choice if you want to switch from belt to electric...
Old 10-04-2011, 07:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bawlzout
Lmfao the way my luck is going I'm not expecting to win anything. Lol. Broke an outer tie rod end 2 days ago, but that was a simple fix with a quick google search.

Replacing this water pump looks much more harder.
Any brands you can reccomend? Got any tips, links, or think of any specialty tools I might need to rent or purchase? How-To's?

I'm not sure about the metal pipe in rad just yet, I'm not at home. Heading to parts store. Have to have this fixed in AM to get to work.

Thanks for the reply bro, I was searching for an hr. Trying to figure out what that Bell looking thing was. Lol

Its really not hard, just time consuming. You'll need new gaskets and about 2 hours if its your first time. No need to remove the throttle body, just the ducts and MAF.
Any remanned one will do. Advance Auto usually offers lifetime warranties on things like that, so I get everything from them I can.

If it can't spin....its bad.

Last edited by LS6427; 10-04-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:51 PM
Teching In

Sweet! Thanks guys. I just bought a Duralast one with Lifetime Warranty. They talked me into renting a fan clutch wrench, not sure if I need it. But I get my Deposit back when I return it.

Thanks again, and keep an eye out on this thread, cause im sure I'll run into problems. Lol
Old 10-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bawlzout
Sweet! Thanks guys. I just bought a Duralast one with Lifetime Warranty. They talked me into renting a fan clutch wrench, not sure if I need it. But I get my Deposit back when I return it.

Thanks again, and keep an eye out on this thread, cause im sure I'll run into problems. Lol
Ratchet and socket is all you need...................

Never heard of a fan clutch wrench.........our fans are electric, no clutches and they have nothing to do with changing the water pump.

Good luck and have fun...........

Old 10-05-2011, 08:40 AM
Teching In

Got the water pimp installed last nite...4hrs later. Lol. But I made it to work thus morning, and car ran good. Thanks again guys, you saved me some $$$. That was the first time I ever went that Deep into wrenching on my car, sadly I'm not looking forward to the Next Time I have too. Lol. But at least I gained some confidence and it was a great feeling when I was finally finished with no left over parts and everything worked correctly. Lmao
Old 10-05-2011, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice job. They say the hardest part about first working on cars is picking up the wrench (for fear of screwing something up).

Working on your own car can save a ton of cash, in your case probably a couple hundred dollars by the time the shop would have made money on the parts plus charged labor.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:49 AM
Banned

good job bud, like lt1pwr said, just jumping in is the hardest part. You start doing little things here and there talk to people and listen to the ones that have proven to actually have done and know something. You will love the feeling of accomplishment when you do these types of small and even larger mods
Old 10-05-2011, 10:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, you own an Fbody..... Learn to do **** yourself or you will go broke on labor costs alone...
Old 10-05-2011, 10:41 AM
Teching In

I hear ya, i wrench on my motorcycles and have done some big projects, but my car is another story, I've always been intimidated by the tight space under the hood. Don't think I could of done it without this great How-To, used it to remove, skipped the electrical, and reversed the steps. http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=26

Took a bunch of pics, so I wouldn't forget what I did. Here are a few.

Out with the Old

In with New

Buttoned back up
Old 10-05-2011, 11:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

good job ,and omg a stock intake not even a lid , holy hell what is going on .
Old 10-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
good job ,and omg a stock intake not even a lid , holy hell what is going on .
Lol yeah, everything is pretty much stock. had this car for 11yrs. It's just a work vehicle, pretty much. All my $$$ gets sunk into 3 motorcycles. Those are more valuable to me than my wife & kids. Lol
Old 10-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Banned

Cool man....glad ya fixed it yourself. And again, one of the rarest things ever is a water pump that actually "freezes", probably 1 in a million. You're the first one I've ever heard of on a 98-02 F-Body. They usually just start leaking through the little weep hole on the bottom when the seal wears out, but the water pump always pumps water the same. A frozen one.....RARE.....

Old 10-26-2011, 06:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS6427
If you're not dripping power steering fluid out of the reservoir or the bottom, or the hose on the bottom passengers side port....you probably need a new cap. That cap might not be holding pressure, which isn;'t really much pressure. But if you're running low on fluid its going somewhere. Looks like maybe its leaking from the shaft seal on the power steering fluid reservoir.

Do you have one of these metal pipes in your upper radiator hose???? picture.
Found and fixed my power steering leak today. Searched the Old Threads and found the leak by turning the wheels and saw it pissing out the High Pressure Hose (Big Hose lol). Went out and bought a new one. Popped the hood, sprayed some PB Blaster on the 5/8 fitting going to Res. and was able to break it loose with a Wrench without removing pulley. Couple more Very Small turns later I was to unscrew by hand. Jacked car up and got underneath and PB Blasted the 3/4 Fitting. These fitting is tuff angle to get to, and I couldn't break it loose with a 3/4 Wrench. So I remembered reading in one of the threads of a guy Cutting the line and using a Socket. So I broke out the Dremel and put a 1 1/2" cutting wheel on and went to town on it. With that out of the way, I found an 18mm socket fit better on that nut than the 3/4 and was able to Finally break it loose and remove. Opened up my new High Pressure Line and O-Rings. Before putting O-Rings on Snaked the Line through and got it in place. Then lubed new o-rings with clean Power Steering fluid and put those on. Starting on the bottom fitting I was able to use a 3/4 wrench and tighten securely. Moving up to the top fitting I screwed as much by hand as possible then using a 5/8 wrench tightened very little, then used 17mm wrench to just barely get enough bite to tighten ever so slightly so I could fit my 5/8 wrench back on for another 1/4 turn, and repeated this till full tight. Lmao. Filled with new fluid and Test Drive. Success!

This Site Rocks! And wouldn't of been able to find or fix this on my own. Last weekend it helped too, I was able to replace 3 broken studs on my front wheels. Super Easy and cant believe I went all these YEARS with em broken.

I got a broken stud on each rear wheel too and those look a little harder, I can't see the back of the studs when I take off the wheel. Don't have traction control either, although I found a great Vid on how to do it if you do have Traction Control. Lol. From what I've been reading it sounds lime I have to remove the Axels. Which means more investigating and searching threads. Lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP! Why do I keep ripping belts in half? Pics