General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

need help quick

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default need help quick

ive been having a prob for awhile now i just got done doing lt headers about 2 weeks ago and ever since then theres been a slight vibration during driving, its slowly gotten more noticable as ive driven more and more. its began to have a rough idle at stoplights and such. yesterday it was fairly noticleble and i thought maybe a plug was loose. then today it took a massive **** all of a sudden. extremly rough idle and the whole car is shaking roughly. the ses light which has been on for awhile ( running lean codes p0171 p0174 p0420 ) started blinking and the car was shaking and felt like misfiring was happening, i couldnt even get the car above 20 mph it was so bad. sitting at stoplights trying to limp the car home it came close to dying many times. ive checked the plugs there on there solid and there brand new ngk v power tr55 and ive got brand new msd wires as well, none of them were loose. when we did my headers however during splicing of one of the front o2 sensors we got them mixed up and had to guess which ones went where. that was 2 weeks ago. ive read that bad o2 sensors could cause this and is sort of common after exhaust swaps involving the sensors. is this my issue? need help car is my only one and need to drive to work

i know its a stupid question like hey those wires i prob fucked up is that the problem???? what im asking is can that cause my symptons especially how it didnt start right away

anyone have input?
Old 10-08-2011, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never splice o2 wiring. Just get extensions, but now that your wiring is jacked up you can switch the wiring at the pcm and reroute the rear 02s to work as the front ones. Theresa writeup here on how to do it, search for it. Good luck.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:17 PM
TECH Resident

just go get corvette o2 sensors, look up a 2000 ls1 G engine code(none zo6, zo6 might work too but idk) vette and use there o2 sensors, there like 2 ft longer or more, that way ur not getting extensions and the o2 sensors are made for that much wiring too, im using them now and they work flawlessly, u can bring old o2 sensor up and compare but should be identical but 2-3 ft longer

Last edited by ToxicWS6; 10-08-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

i think if it is o2 sensors the rain was a factor here. yesterday, the day it took a crap, there was heavy rain and several large deep puddles on the road that i went through minutes before it started. i looked under the car and the passenger side front o2 wire bundle is hanging very low and def was dragged through some puddles, i also noticed there was no protective sleeving covering the wires and there connections, just the wires tied together. im thinking this is the problem and the rain accelerated it. still looking for input tho
Old 10-09-2011, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

so i swapped out o2 sensors and car started up fine and drives fine. codes that were thrown before o2 swap was p0412 p0420 p0410 and p0135.
did air delete and cat delete with my header install so the 400 series codes are whatever. that 135 code is o2 sensor failure. after o2 swap only code i get is p0412 but its cuz i have not turned off my air pump. car still runs a little rough not really noticeable and idles a slighty rough. is this just it relearning cuz i diconnected the battery for an hour to clear everything
Old 10-11-2011, 06:47 PM
TECH Resident

yeah it will act like its dieing and run like **** for the next 10-30 mins of driving after u start up with the batt disconnected