Go Back   LS1TECH > CHASSIS, SUSPENSION, APPEARANCE > General Maintenance & Repairs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Maintenance & Repairs
Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Sponsored by
Gearstar Performance Transmissions

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 10-17-2011, 05:46 AM   #1
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1
Default '99 Z28 - Low Beam Headlights Won't Come On

'99 Z28 - Low Beam Headlights Won't Come On ...... and the time that I find this out is at 0500 when I'm leaving for the gym!!!

This weekend, I pulled the headlight assemblies off and cleaned the yellow haze using the 3M kit.

This morning, the low beams won't light up. High beams work fine. I checked the fuse boxes and everything looks good. I swapped in a new bulb and nothing. Fog lights work, headlight switch chime works.

What next? Is there a relay somewhere that I need to check? If so, where is it located?

Saying that I checked the fuses may not mean anything, as there isn't a fuse specifically marked "headlamps" or "low beams". Specifically, which fuse is associated with the headlights?

I am a little bummed .... I've been slacking on the gym for the past month ... this morning was my return.

Thanks

Bill

1999 Camaro Z28 M6, some mods, 278K miles
1969 Camaro RS Convertible, 350/350 turbo, 3.73 posi rear, disc brakes
2001 Suburban

Last edited by billscamaros; 10-17-2011 at 05:55 AM..
billscamaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1

Dimmer switch inop? Can you hear and feel the dimmer switch clicking? I have had the dimmer on our 3rd Gen fail a couple of times. It's usually stuck on dim, so it's not a real issue except when I want to get it inspected and the station drones are being jerks. The switch itself should be on the steering column down by the firewall. Make sure you can hear it click.
85 Firebird, C Prepared Autocross car,
Many other vehicles
CrashTestDummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #3
12 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 45

check all your wires
Old 10-18-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
Save the manuals!
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 5

If you aren't getting power to the bulbs (you should test with a multi-tester first) then the common culprits are the headlight switch in the dash or the high beam switch bolted to the base of the steering column. (A long steel rod connects the turn signal high beam lever to the actual switch which is bolted to the base of the column under the lower dash panel.)

Best to trace this with a tester as the parts will get pricey if you do trial and error.

Please DO NOT send PMs for questions that can be answered in the forums!
wssix99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:00 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement