General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Random misfire code?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Random misfire code?

Was racing the other night and after a pull car started to idle weird. So I stopped obviously and just drove home. Started the car up the other day and it doesnt want to stay alive, car drives like complete crap shifting weird and what not. Im getting a random misfire code. The car is running rich so that leads me to believe its the o2's even though I already replaced them. The guy at autozone told me its my maf sensor on obd2 tester but I know with them saying anything about Air/Fuel mixture they just say MAF sensor.

Just looking for a little help here..

chris
Old 10-20-2011, 03:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

P0300 Codes are so ******' aggravating. It seems like any little thing will set one off and in turn leaves you scratching your head.

If you haven't already, I would check to see if your MAF is descreened and if so, be sure there isn't some type of debris stuck to the wires inside. A friend had this happen to his 98 T/A. It would start but almost immediately die. Once he found the problem, the car was back to its old self.

You could also try unplugging the MAF to see if the car runs better in Open Loop. If so, its possible the guys at Autozone were correct and your MAF went to ****. If not, then its time to look in another direction.

Good luck, man.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:02 AM
On The Tree

Check and make sure the bellows isnt coming off the tb, any air entering the intake after the maf creates weird issues...had a buddy whos car felt like the tranny was going or the clutch was slipping just because an intake elbow slipped off like 1/8" on the bottom of the tb
Old 10-20-2011, 04:14 AM
Teching In

I would try all plug and wires just because, unless yours are new. I had the same prob, I did plugs wires coils cats and o2 it ended up being a bad crank position sensor under the starter hope this helps.