General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

HOrn is giving me problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HOrn is giving me problems

OK so my horn works, but i have to use both hands and press were the horn images are on the corners of the aribag to get it to go off....im thinking its the contacts. How do i replace and fix them???
Old 10-20-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone know?
Old 10-21-2011, 07:43 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The horn has two switches. One on each side of the airbag, under the horn symbol. Pressing the center of the airbag won't set off the horn - but you should be able to set it off by pressing one horn symbol.

If you have problems with that, try touching each side and see if you get different behavior. Its different than just about every other car in existence but is something we have to get used to.

We should all be thankful that we don't live in a place where we have to deal with this kind of thing. (No horn button on the steering wheel at all!)
Old 10-21-2011, 08:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

GRRR its just i have to press them both at the same time to get a consitant horn lol maybe ill take it apart and clean it and see what happens
Old 10-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Launching!

Yea, that sounds like something to do with your horn switches. I broke one of them once when I punched my steering wheel (I had just driven over a piece of metal in the road and my engine subsequently died...cut the fuel line).
There are 4 hex screws that hold the airbag in, but you make sure to disable the SIR (supplemental inflatable restraint) system first, just to be safe. Once the airbag is off the switch mechanism is pretty simple. I had a tab broken on mine, so I cut off part of a plastic safety pin and superglued it where the tab should've been. That was several years ago and it still works great.
The 1st pic in this thread shows you what it looks like with the airbag removed. https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...oval-pics.html
Old 10-21-2011, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

are those 2 things on the side the connectors? how would i go about cleaning them or whatever
Old 10-21-2011, 08:35 PM
Save the manuals!

The link above is for a 3rd gen. This link has the same stuff for a 4th gen. Step 10 has a picture of the horn switches. They are connected to the connector with the red and yellow wire. https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...mn-repair.html

WATCH OUT!!! - If you haven't done this before, you need to be careful of that horn connector, (the picture in the thread shows the connector removed from the receiver) or you'll be in for a new type of hell to get it fixed. If you want to disconnect the horn connector to test things, continuity, etc. you need to press the white cylindrical connector in towards the steering column and then gently rotate it to the left around 45 degrees. Then it should pop out. If you crank it or pull on it, you'll brake the receiver that it connects to. Replacing that receiver is a PITA and will take you to step 17 to get at it.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good info here. The contacts were dirty/corroded on mine. Cleaned them up with some light sandpaper and my horn works again. Thanks!
Old 12-30-2011, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

UPDATE!!!! ok my horn switches are ok. the problem is in the horn contact. the twist lock is broken in half. I need to know where to get one from to replace it
Old 12-30-2011, 06:57 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Chaos07
UPDATE!!!! ok my horn switches are ok. the problem is in the horn contact. the twist lock is broken in half. I need to know where to get one from to replace it
If its the "plug" that is attached to the wires coming from the horn buttons - that will need to come from a dealer.

If its the "socket" that the plug goes in to - its a part of the turn signal cam. These can be found in the Dorman/Help! parts section of any local store. The replacement of the part is depicted in step 17 of this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...mn-repair.html
Old 12-30-2011, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah its the turn signal cam lol, thanks alot man i was panicing thinking i was going to have to go to a junkyard and pick through cars. Ill go and pick one up tomorrow
Old 12-31-2011, 01:03 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Chaos07
yeah its the turn signal cam lol, thanks alot man i was panicing thinking i was going to have to go to a junkyard and pick through cars. Ill go and pick one up tomorrow
The part is common to most GM steering columns and hasn't changed since the 60's. Its one of the easiest parts to find on the car.