General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Radiator leak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator leak?

My radiator is slowly leaking out of the drain **** underneath. In June I had drained it to replace the thermostat, other than that never messed with it in any way. Never noticed a leak, but slowly over the last month it started getting just a little bit hotter. If I'm not mistaken it was consistently at 200-210, then started running about 220-230. Straight up on the dial maybe slightly past. Then 2 weeks ago it dumped what was left as I was driving on the interstate, cruising at 70mph in 6th. Gave it time filled it up again, no problems since. Other than it still leaks. It's just dripping but it's decently steady, and only after it's been running, for maybe 30 minutes. After 2 weeks i had to put in maybe an 1/4 of a gallon. Got under it and tightened up the drain screw all the way, hasn't changed it any. Ordered a new drain screw waiting on it to get here. Would there have maybe been some damage to it that somehow started causing it to not have a full seal 3 months later? Where else should I look? This is the only place I can see a problem, and only place leaking.

Thanks
Jared
Old 10-25-2011, 11:42 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

They cost like $2.00...get a new petcock valve.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ that's the actual name for what I'm calling the drain ****? how much of a pita is that to replace?