General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Turn key get a single click

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 07:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Turn key get a single click

Lately my car has been giving me starting trouble. I have replaced the ignition relay already this summer. But sometimes I would still have issues so that was not the cause. When I turn the key on the days it won't start I would get a single click. Never multiple clicks. Sometimes I can get it to start after trying a few times but then other times like today it just won't start. The good news is I can pop start the car anywhere I want to go. What could be causing this issue. Would a battery give me just that one click? Also my lights do not dim my radio is fine even the fans for my heat or a/c will work fine so I am not thinking it is a battery. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like you might have a loose wire/ground possibly? unless your VATS is fucked up, does your dash flash the security light at all? mabe the key/tumbler is worn out causing the VATS to kick in and not enable the car to turn over. is it a M6 or auto? If M6 the neutral saftey switch could be going bad as well. Those are just a few things i would look into, its kinda hard to diagnose without being there....
Old 11-02-2011, 09:07 AM
Staging Lane

That's just it this crap always happens in the morning when I have to go to work never get a chance to diagnose it. Then when I get home it will start right up! So frustrating.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your connections on your battery
Old 11-02-2011, 09:35 AM
Teching In

Mine did this with stock starter after the new engine. I could hit the keyswitch a bunch of times and it would just get a single click each time but eventually start. High torque starter solved my problem. If you have a spare Id swap out the starter and see if that helps.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

x2 on the starter...mine got weak after i took it off to change my stall...some trans fluid or oil must of gotten on it
Old 11-03-2011, 08:37 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You should check the battery just in case. A bad battery can show itself when the temperatures are cold in the morning and then "wake up" as the temperatures rise in the day.

Quick Reply: Turn key get a single click