General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Broke thin gasket between 2 halves of the starter

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Broke thin gasket between 2 halves of the starter

I was taking apart my old starter and thin gasket between 2 parts of the starter fell to pieces... It's about .016" thick, looks like paper or smth.
Can I put together starter without this gasket?
I've made couple of pics so you can easily see what I'm talking about
Attached Thumbnails Broke thin gasket between 2 halves of the starter-img_4909sm.jpg   Broke thin gasket between 2 halves of the starter-img_4910sm.jpg   Broke thin gasket between 2 halves of the starter-img_4911sm.jpg  
Old 11-09-2011, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone?
Old 11-09-2011, 02:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

To be 100% honest with you i have not had one of these starters apart to give you an honest answer. Is it a gasket or a shim? Either way it was there for a reason either to shim or keep moisture out of the starter. I recommend to replace it. you can either try to find one at a parts house or make your own. If i can find out i will post up asap.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

it looks like paper-based so I'd call it a gasket... shims don't brake that easy from just touching them
Old 11-10-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have had them apart, at least the one on my boat which is the same thing. if it's the gasket between the nosecone and midsection I think it's there to prevent grease/oil from the gearset seeping into the armature & stator area. So I would just use a little rtv when sealing it up, and decently grease the planetary gears. The gasket if it's that thick should not be there to eat up space to have the correct clearance or endplay on the armature. put the whole thing together dry first and tighten it up and see if the armature turns freely, if it does then you should be good.