General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Radiator not staying full.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Radiator not staying full.

Ok I changed the fluid about month ago in my radiator and now when I go and check it its just a little low everytime. And there is no leaks I have checked all the hoses everything looks fine? Any suggestions
Old 11-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a bad water pump. The seals went out and were pumping air in to the coolant stream, which was dissolving in the coolant. After the car sat for a while and cooled off, the air settled at the top of the radiator.

If you have fluid in your overflow tank AND your overflow line can maintain a vacuum/siphon AND you don't have any leaking coolant, this is probably your issue. (By process of elimination. If fluid is communicating back and forth between the overflow and the radiator and the system is sealed/not leaking, this is the only way air can get in to they system.)
Old 11-23-2011, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

And if i want to fill it up it really dont take but just a little bit.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:47 PM
Save the manuals!

Yes - If its the pump, the volume of lost fluid equals the amount of air dissolved in the coolant when you are driving. Drive the car for a short period of time, and it won't be much. Drive the car for longer and it will be more.

If you don't top it off - that's not a problem. As the car heats up, the coolant will expand and start flowing back-and-forth to the overflow as normal. The problem comes when the amount of air in the system is greater than the amount of expansion.

Either way, this is your canary in the coal mine and you'll want to fix it before it leaves you overheating and stranded.

If you check the level of the coolant after you turn off the car and compare it to when the car is 100% cool, that will confirm what is going on. If you check the hot coolant, you'll want to put a heavy towel over the cap as you open it and keep it half-way turned until the pressure bleeds off before turning it the rest of the way and removing it. That stuff burns!
Old 11-24-2011, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

So your saying there a leak somewhere? Or do I need to be finding me a water pump?
Old 11-24-2011, 03:32 PM
Save the manuals!

I'm saying you need to do a test before determining if you need a water pump. You have to check the hot fluid level in the radiator to be sure. If the hot level is high and the cold level in the radiator is low, you have one of two problems:

- You've lost suction between the radiator and the overflow tank. (Leaking hose between the two.)
- Your pump is bad and you'll need a new one.

If your hot level is high, you'll need to put a vacuum on the overflow line to make sure its good. If it is - you'll need a new pump.

Quick Reply: Radiator not staying full.