General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
View Poll Results: do you let your car idle for a few minutes before driving?
yes
70.83%
no
29.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

warm up car b driving?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default warm up car b driving?

I'm having a hard time finding some good info on this. I always thought it was a good idea to let your car idle for a few minutes before you drive off in the mornings. but someone told me that you don't have to do that anymore and it could be bad for the car. every morning i start my car about 5-10 minutes before leaving regardless of the temperature outside. i feel its good to get the oil moving and warmed up.what do you guys do? please post links that go into detail on this.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends. It is good to limit RPMs before oil is up to operating temperature. Before it warms and thins out you have pretty poor oil flow, since viscosity is high (which is why the pressure is way up when cold).

Excessive idling can potentially lead to fuel dilution of the oil, that is really one of the few downsides I can think of offhand. I don't know why someone would think it is bad to let it warm up before driving. I can understand why they might think it is unnecessary if the ambient temp isn't too low.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Just let the idle settle down, and then take it easy until the car is up to temp.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:47 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Its a total waste on a normal car. You'll warm it up faster by taking it for an easy drive and not revving the engine. If your car is still or moving, the same processes are happening inside the engine and oil flows the same. If anything, it will flow more and heat up faster by driving the car.

As long as you aren't in a climate that requires an engine block heater and are using the correct motor oil (this time of year, we should have at least 5W30 in) the car is fine to start and drive.

Here's a decent article: http://www.motherearthnews.com/ask-o...e-warm-up.aspx
Old 11-23-2011, 08:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

There's no reason to let it idle for more than 20-30 seconds. After that just limit the rpms until the engine is fully warmed up and you should be ok. I say give it 30 seconds to just let the oil pressure build up and get to the top of the engine. Anymore than that is a waste of gas.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
Just let the idle settle down, and then take it easy until the car is up to temp.
Agreed. I sit down, start the car, buckle in, drive off.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I let it idle usually no more than 30 seconds, then I keep it under 3,000 RPMs until it's at FOT.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I prefer to let mine warm up for a few minutes before driving to the office because my commute is only 7 minutes, which isn't enough time to let the car get up to operating temp.

If you have a long, highway commute there is no reason to warm up your car. If you work close to home, you should warm up your car IMO.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

Could say any better. I have done just that for eons and most of my cars make it past 250k miles with no issues.

As long as the oil pressure is up, time to put in gear, and usually the first mile or 2 is gentle, I don't dog my cars anyway, but WOT is always a daily occurance.... Just not typically until up to temp.

Originally Posted by redtan
There's no reason to let it idle for more than 20-30 seconds. After that just limit the rpms until the engine is fully warmed up and you should be ok. I say give it 30 seconds to just let the oil pressure build up and get to the top of the engine. Anymore than that is a waste of gas.
Originally Posted by wssix99
Its a total waste on a normal car. You'll warm it up faster by taking it for an easy drive and not revving the engine. If your car is still or moving, the same processes are happening inside the engine and oil flows the same. If anything, it will flow more and heat up faster by driving the car.

As long as you aren't in a climate that requires an engine block heater and are using the correct motor oil (this time of year, we should have at least 5W30 in) the car is fine to start and drive.

Here's a decent article: http://www.motherearthnews.com/ask-o...e-warm-up.aspx
Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
It depends. It is good to limit RPMs before oil is up to operating temperature. Before it warms and thins out you have pretty poor oil flow, since viscosity is high (which is why the pressure is way up when cold).

Excessive idling can potentially lead to fuel dilution of the oil, that is really one of the few downsides I can think of offhand. I don't know why someone would think it is bad to let it warm up before driving. I can understand why they might think it is unnecessary if the ambient temp isn't too low.
Originally Posted by _JB_
Agreed. I sit down, start the car, buckle in, drive off.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i always let mine idle until the temp gauge starts moving because i have high lift springs
Old 11-23-2011, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i aways let mine warm up a bit. The same with my bike.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

If your car has a carburetor, warm it up, if it doesn't don't bother.

Unless you are pulling right out of your parking spot and hitting a freeway on-ramp, then maybe a little. I have about 200 yards of idleing down the back road before I hit pavement, so I just get in and go.

Even a stock LS1 with the AIR pump shuts down the pump during the time it takes to close the garage and get back in.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:47 PM
Staging Lane

A properly setup carb is just about as good as EFI in the extreme cold. My 307 Olds (later a 350, same carb/intake) would start absolutely fine, no pumping, even on -25F days. My 3800 in my 91 Bonneville started harder than my 85 Cutlass did. And I simply tapped pedal enough to set the chock (you hear it click) and no more, and crank it over and it started up immediately and drove just fine even in the cold.

But most people don't tune them either, I spent the time setting up the carb the way GM spec'd it.

Originally Posted by ghardester
If your car has a carburetor, warm it up, if it doesn't don't bother.

Unless you are pulling right out of your parking spot and hitting a freeway on-ramp, then maybe a little. I have about 200 yards of idleing down the back road before I hit pavement, so I just get in and go.

Even a stock LS1 with the AIR pump shuts down the pump during the time it takes to close the garage and get back in.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wait on the piston slap, squeaking clanging rattling and other horrible noises to stop before I move it. I also wait on the temp to get to about 100. Only takes a few minutes.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

when i had my car i gave it about the time it took me to start up coast down my driveway then to the stop sign(i live on a hill) and then do a 1st 2nd gear pull wot reguardless if it was 30 or 80* and then would be on my way lol did it for like 2 years lol no problems
Old 11-23-2011, 02:45 PM
Launching!

She starts, I hear the usual lifter noise for about 20 seconds; (from a cold start), I wait till it gets quiet (all ways under 30 seconds) and I drive off within 90 seconds.
Been that way for 11 years and I see no reason to change as the engine has superb oil pressure at all temps and rpms.
BTW, I always use 0/40 Royal Purple and a good filter that has a larger capacity than stock.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

In temps under 50 degrees in the morning I let the car idle until the temp gauge starts moving. Guessing I'm just waisting my gas after reading this tho.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always let my car warm up. Wasted gas or not, I want heat when I get in.

Rolled 170k today so I think its ok.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Understandable about wanting heat, but you will get heat faster, and save more fuel by driving it instead of letting it sit there for 10 minutes idling.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:21 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lefty2023
I'm having a hard time finding some good info on this. I always thought it was a good idea to let your car idle for a few minutes before you drive off in the mornings. but someone told me that you don't have to do that anymore and it could be bad for the car. every morning i start my car about 5-10 minutes before leaving regardless of the temperature outside. i feel its good to get the oil moving and warmed up.what do you guys do? please post links that go into detail on this.
I have never let my engine warm up and I've got 165,000 miles on my 427ci. As "Haz-Mat" said....just limit your rpm. I was told by my engine builder there is zero warm-up time required, just DO NOT go over 3,000 rpm until its warmed up. Mainly so I don't break a spring as they tend to break when cold, when high rpm's are put to them.

I've done what they said. I start my engine, summer or winter, I let it sit and idle just long enough to get my stereo on, belt on, and situate my things if I have any with me. I drive off in about 30-45 seconds usually. But I drive it very casually until its warm. I've been good for 9+ years.