General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Old 05-13-2016, 03:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

70,000 mile maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 06:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 70,000 mile maintenance

My car just passed 72,000 miles not too long ago. I was wondering what parts on these cars (mechanically speaking) are about to wear out, what I should look for that is. Also, what fluids should I think about swapping now?

Did a brake fluid flush on the car about 1,000 miles ago. Change the oil on the car every 3,000-4,000 miles with full synthetic Royal Purple.

Was thinking about doing a Transmission fluid swap, differential fluid swap, coolant flush. Any other things? And what other parts should I be checking out?
Old 11-23-2011, 06:54 PM
TECH Resident

Spark plugs, rear end fluid, fuel filter, clean you lid filter, clean you MAF..
Old 11-23-2011, 06:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by camaroboy14
Spark plugs, rear end fluid, fuel filter, clean you lid filter, clean you MAF..
Don't spark plugs last to 100,000 miles?

Forgot about the fuel filter, I don't think it's ever been changed, so the car will probably need that.

Exactly how do I go about cleaning the MAF? I remember during the LID install about 6,000 miles ago we took off the TB, and cleaned out some debris we found in the screen, then reattached the hose fixing the leak in the bottom so no more debris could get in.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

check the condition of your spark plug wires. also belts and hoses.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
Don't spark plugs last to 100,000 miles?

Forgot about the fuel filter, I don't think it's ever been changed, so the car will probably need that.

Exactly how do I go about cleaning the MAF? I remember during the LID install about 6,000 miles ago we took off the TB, and cleaned out some debris we found in the screen, then reattached the hose fixing the leak in the bottom so no more debris could get in.
Plugs will last 100,000 miles, but they wont be in optimum operating condition. I personally change mine at 70k but thats me, some people wait to 100k but I would rather change my plugs early and replace them before the get too worn out.

Cleaning the MAF is very easy, they sell a cleaner at most auto parts stores that is in a aresol can. You can remove the MAF and spray the cleaner onto the MAF screen and bore. I would also clean the throttle body while your at it. DONT USE CARB CLEAN ON A MAF, it can damage it because it is too strong of a cleaner. You can use carb clean on the throttle body no problem but never the MAF.

Other things I would check are deffinetly the belts, and the belt tensioners. Also drain the coolant and trans fluid and rear diff fluid. I also like to get a suction gun and suck out some powersteering fluid and try to get as much new fluid in as I can.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:52 PM
Banned

cool, thanks for all the tips guys.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:12 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Now that your car is over 10 years old, you'll need to abandon the idea that your maintenance schedule is tied to mileage. If a car is driven often, mechanical wear sets in first. If a car is not driven often, rubber parts and seals will start to go bad before they "wear out," varnish will develop in some areas, corrosion sets in, etc. Fluids also degrade with age.

You are on the right track and it would be a good idea to do the transmission, differential, and coolant changes. As suggested - Definitely time for a fuel filter, plugs, and plug wires. (The plug wires are rubber and will degrade over time - so I'd invest in a new set.) I'd also completely replace the belts. (They are rubber too.) For the price of a belt and what it will do to you if one breaks, its a no-brainer. When you change the belts, you can keep the old ones back with your spare tire just in case you ever have a problem on the road. 2000PewterT/A also brings up a great point on the P/S fluid. It will make a huge difference.

I'd also suggest the following:
- PCV Valve (Often forgotten about!)
- Check the battery (Auto Parts stores can now put a load on them and test them for free)
- Check the water pump to make sure the weep hole isn't weeping.
- Check the air pressure in your spare tire.
- Oil your door hinges.
- Lubricate your weatherstripping.
- Your brakes probably have some lift to them yet, but if you get really motivated, you might remove the calipers, lube the slider pins, and grease the backs of the pads & hardware.
- Make sure you have done the door panel mod to protect against cracking.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wssix99
Now that your car is over 10 years old, you'll need to abandon the idea that your maintenance schedule is tied to mileage. If a car is driven often, mechanical wear sets in first. If a car is not driven often, rubber parts and seals will start to go bad before they "wear out," varnish will develop in some areas, corrosion sets in, etc. Fluids also degrade with age.

You are on the right track and it would be a good idea to do the transmission, differential, and coolant changes. As suggested - Definitely time for a fuel filter, plugs, and plug wires. (The plug wires are rubber and will degrade over time - so I'd invest in a new set.) I'd also completely replace the belts. (They are rubber too.) For the price of a belt and what it will do to you if one breaks, its a no-brainer. When you change the belts, you can keep the old ones back with your spare tire just in case you ever have a problem on the road. 2000PewterT/A also brings up a great point on the P/S fluid. It will make a huge difference.

I'd also suggest the following:
- PCV Valve (Often forgotten about!)
- Check the battery (Auto Parts stores can now put a load on them and test them for free)
- Check the water pump to make sure the weep hole isn't weeping.
- Check the air pressure in your spare tire.
- Oil your door hinges.
- Lubricate your weatherstripping.
- Your brakes probably have some lift to them yet, but if you get really motivated, you might remove the calipers, lube the slider pins, and grease the backs of the pads & hardware.
- Make sure you have done the door panel mod to protect against cracking.
How do I lubricate the weather stripping? It is starting to get old and cracking in places.

And what is the door mod?
Old 11-24-2011, 03:36 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

GM suggests a dry silicone lubricant for the weatherstripping.

Here's the detail on the door panels. If you look on the back side, you'll see the stress cracks starting to form. Its a long thread. If you dig through it, you'll find the solution is to drill out the holes that the staples go through to attach the glass seal to the top of the door to allow for expansion/contraction: https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...uote-pics.html
Old 11-24-2011, 07:22 PM
12 Second Club

Door panel mod only applies to firebird/trans am models if im not mistaken
Old 11-24-2011, 07:55 PM
Banned

sweet, I'm in the clear
Old 11-24-2011, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, door panel cracking isn't usually an issue with Camaro's, so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

I bought my car with 67k, and it crossed 70k not too long ago, I'm sitting at 71k as of today. Since I first bought it, transmission fluid has been changed, new plugs/wires, and I'm staying on top of my oil changes. But, other than that, that's about it. Wouldn't hurt to change out your belts, but I don't think it really would need it as factory belts last a pretty long time from what I've seen, I know mines look perfectly fine. 70k miles really isn't that much, no need to replace everything on the car just yet, haha...

Quick Reply: 70,000 mile maintenance