General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help! Rearend noise?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Rearend noise?

there is a slight popping happenin towards the rear and i cant figure out what it is especially entering a left hand curve, it happens when roundin a curve! I cant tell that anything is wore or rubbing, its done this for bout 6,000 miles. I thought it was a wheel bearing but i drove about 15 miles and took a digital thermometer and pointed at the hubs and all 4 wheels were very close so if anybody has the slightest idea of what it could be...
Old 12-02-2011, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It could be a wheel bearing, or possibly a carrier bearing, if it only does it on left turns it may be something inside the carrier itself, gear,broken clutch,etc. Also something to look at is your suspension, the springs sit in cups, if the cushion is not there then you could hear a pop as the suspension travels. Sorry, but that noise could be caused by many possible things. Hope this helps some.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be the carrier housing itself. Stock Torsens seem to break on the left side.

I'm trying to have a machine shop make me up some new pieces to replace the broken housing piece. If it's your Torsen, and you end up replacing it, save the bad one.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
It could be the carrier housing itself. Stock Torsens seem to break on the left side.

I'm trying to have a machine shop make me up some new pieces to replace the broken housing piece. If it's your Torsen, and you end up replacing it, save the bad one.
True, mine broke on the left side at 75k miles. Threw a junk yard 10 bolt at it. still going strong.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

unfortunately mine did the same, and unfortunately mine got worse and was banging even when going straight....order a new s60 from central racing, and when i pulled my old one out and popped the cover, the magnet had tons of metal on it along with 2 differntial teeth as well........my noise started only when pulling in and out of parking spaces, then when i was doing normal road turns....then banged when going straight........dont freak out that ur unit may be bad, but its possible.....i threw the s60 in becuase an ls3 stroker is in the plans for the future.....id say 10-15000 miles went by before the rear became "unsafe" and the banging started

Last edited by Floorman279; 12-05-2011 at 06:45 PM. Reason: .......