General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Electrical problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical problem?

Ok so for about a week i have been trying to figure out what is wrong.

Took car out for one last run before i store it, very next day go to get car and drive to storage unit.

Car WONT start, also no dash lights, interior lights, ect.

Took battery to interstate battery they tested and kept it for 2 days.They said when i brought the battery in, it was showing 4 volts......Battery charged up and kept a charge they told me..NOTE:battery is not even a year old.

Drove the car to the storage unit, next day go to start it and same problem. Took my alternator to body shop tested and works as supposed to. Jumped my car, and it started fine....tried to start it again in 4 hours and nothing.

Could this be a electrical problem or something else.

Place i bought the car said its the battery that it might test fine but not work how it should, that vibration kills batteries?? (gave me a blank look on my face when i was told this)
Old 12-07-2011, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ytownls1
Ok so for about a week i have been trying to figure out what is wrong.

Took car out for one last run before i store it, very next day go to get car and drive to storage unit.

Car WONT start, also no dash lights, interior lights, ect.

Took battery to interstate battery they tested and kept it for 2 days.They said when i brought the battery in, it was showing 4 volts......Battery charged up and kept a charge they told me..NOTE:battery is not even a year old.

Drove the car to the storage unit, next day go to start it and same problem. Took my alternator to body shop tested and works as supposed to. Jumped my car, and it started fine....tried to start it again in 4 hours and nothing.

Could this be a electrical problem or something else.

Place i bought the car said its the battery that it might test fine but not work how it should, that vibration kills batteries?? (gave me a blank look on my face when i was told this)
Well, it sounds like you have a major draw on the system somewhere. I'm pretty sure the BCM turns everything off after a while but maybe I"m wrong on these cars. Check for the obvious like any lights you may have left on. With the car off can you hear anything running or relays clicking?

Sounds like you need to test for a draw on the car....Google testing battery draws and you should find out how to do that if you don't know how.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ughhh..thanks for the help....just hard to get spare time when im working 50hrs a week and class full time
Old 12-08-2011, 08:22 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by ytownls1
This is not a proper way to test a battery! You need to take it to a brand-name parts store, which will have a proper battery tester. It just takes 5 minutes to do. Part of the problem is that you don't need voltage to start a car - you need amps. (So different tools are needed to test the true capacity of the battery.)

If you can jump the car fine, it must be the battery.

Last edited by wssix99; 12-08-2011 at 08:23 AM. Reason: misspelling