General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

99ss hums

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 09:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99ss hums

Hello LS1Tech, I have a 99 ss camaro that starts to hum at about 35mph to 40 or so. Just wondering if it might be a hub or something else that somebody on here has experienced. Thanks for any info. I put new pullys and a waterpump. These were needed and i was hoping it might`ve helped the hum but nope. Ron
Old 12-16-2011, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where is the hum coming from?
(I assume since you said pullys & waterpump you mean the front).
Old 12-17-2011, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Default 99ss hums

I had the rear rebuilt and the hum is different than that. It seems like it is at the front of the car and is speed induced. If i put the clutch in and coast you can still hear the hum, but it is only really humming from 30mph to 40 or so.Just wondering whats going to break. Thanks for any help. I'll check my hubs for having anty play, just thought with all the cars on here maybe somebody had experienced this. The bcm repair post helped me fix that problem and the post on doulble springing the hatch release also worked and i replaced the speakers, all from advice on here. I love this site. Even the bickering between posters is entertainment in itself. Thanks Ron T.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:31 PM
Teching In

Lift the front end and place one hand on the strut while spinning the wheel. Any vibration indicated a failed wheel bearing. You can use a screwdriver to listen as well, just touch the tip to the strut, and listen to the handle. You'll hear a growl from a bad bearing. If its really bad you'll have play in the bearing, but you'd also hear a terrible thunk when driving down the road.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:02 PM
Teching In

Default 99ss hums

I want to thank you guys for the help. I`ll lift it up and see if I can tell if it`s the hub. Ron
Old 12-23-2011, 09:18 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

What kind of tires do you have on the car? Are they the same on all 4 wheels?
Old 12-25-2011, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Default 99ss hums

I have cooper tires about a year old. They were such an improvement over the kumho ex? I had on before. The car really trams on the highway so I think maybe hubs. Haven't got it in air yet, still dealing with the christmas time rush. Thanks again for the advice. Ls1tech rules. ALOOOOONG time ago I used to go to ls1.com then i saw this site and am addicted to here. Ron T