General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help! Wiper speeds messed up!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 08:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Wiper speeds messed up!

So it was raining today, I took my car out and turned the wipers onto the 3rd setting. First thing I noticed was they were going way too fast for 3, more like on the 5th setting or so. I quickly turned it off and then put it onto 1, the lowest setting...the speed continued. I turned it to the off position. It still continued on speed 5! Eventually it turned off. I have tried all of the speeds, 1 and 2 will work for awhile but then they increase in speed to setting 5, when I turn it off it doesn't turn off right away, keeps going...eventually shutting off.

While it was raining the whole day, it wasn't a big problem, except the speed was too fast for the light drizzle. This is still a very annoying problem. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong? What can I do to fix this?

I thought of checking the fuses. Is there a fuse for this that may need to be replaced? I also though of disconnecting the battery, but have not done that yet.

Does anyone have any idea what may be wrong?
Old 12-16-2011, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

If it was a fuse they wouldn't work at all. My guess is the wiper switch went bad as I really can't think of anything else that would cause that to happen.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:40 PM
Banned

The wiper switch? Well ****, how the hell would I replace that?

It still doesn't seem like it explains the wipers going on higher settings and then lower settings at random, and not wanting to turn off.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
The wiper switch? Well ****, how the hell would I replace that?

It still doesn't seem like it explains the wipers going on higher settings and then lower settings at random, and not wanting to turn off.

It's actually not that hard of a fix, Fbodies have used the same "blinker/wiper" bar for like 20 something years...... but, I would check the wiper relay. It controls the speed not the actual bar... It's like a fuse, but it looks like a little metal box in the fuse panel.....

Someone correct me if im wrong..
Old 12-16-2011, 11:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by baalic
It's actually not that hard of a fix, Fbodies have used the same "blinker/wiper" bar for like 20 something years...... but, I would check the wiper relay. It controls the speed not the actual bar... It's like a fuse, but it looks like a little metal box in the fuse panel.....

Someone correct me if im wrong..
Any idea on how to fix the switch? I wouldn't know where to begin.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Should be a little Plug anda couple screws .. Dont rememver if the eheel has to come off or not... Been a while since i broke one

Quick Reply: Help! Wiper speeds messed up!