General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

44K+ on stock belt/pulleys and just started chirping?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 44K+ on stock belt/pulleys and just started chirping?

Car: 2000 Trans Am T-Top 6spd. Chirping started around 43.5K I'd guess?

I'm still running the factory serpentine belt @ 44,441 miles. Chirping is more prominent toward the lower half of the belt path (around the crank pulley). Also noticed a slight loping idle speed when at a light after the car has warmed up. Not that common, but it'll drop to around 550 or raise to 1000 RPM for at most a second. Blipping the throttle sometimes brings it back to a steady 750 idle. Originally bought the car in the summer of 2010 with 29,700 miles on it. Seeing as the last ~15K were put on rather quickly as opposed to the rest of the car, I'm fearing one of two things:

1) The factory belt is finally glazed and giving out

or

2) My pulleys are going out of adjustment (namely idler pulley) or the grease cooked off?

This is my 3rd vehicle (I drive 'em into the dirt and I'm 25..) and I've never had one that had an idler pulley/tensioner or an actual belt go bad. Don't even start on how weird that sounds.. you're preaching to the choir. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm also open to high-po/high wear resistant pulley ideas for the engine's longevity since I do plan on keeping this thing well past 200K miles and enjoying the hell out of it while I can. Won't be doing much as far as 'power adders' go for a while outside of tires and exhaust. Dumped 10 grand putting the *** end back together..
Old 12-18-2011, 01:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

new pulleys......and goodyear gator belts....nuff sed
Old 12-18-2011, 08:36 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
+1. Even though your car is low miles, its old and the rubber parts and seals will start to give out, leak, etc.

If you don't want to get too involved, I'd start by cutting the AC belt. Then start the engine to localize the problem between the two belts. (You should probably replace the belts anyway, so cutting it will allow you to do this w/o taking the main belt off.)

If the sound goes away after ditching the A/C belt, you might look and see it the chirp is your A/C clutch. Otherwise, the solution to your problem should be a simple belt or pulley.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There is a thread here somewhere telling you how to put grease in the bearings rather than buying new. I did it and it worked good. Try some searches grease is Very Cheap. Do the belts for sure.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wssix99
+1. Even though your car is low miles, its old and the rubber parts and seals will start to give out, leak, etc.

If you don't want to get too involved, I'd start by cutting the AC belt. Then start the engine to localize the problem between the two belts. (You should probably replace the belts anyway, so cutting it will allow you to do this w/o taking the main belt off.)

If the sound goes away after ditching the A/C belt, you might look and see it the chirp is your A/C clutch. Otherwise, the solution to your problem should be a simple belt or pulley.
I cut out the AC/Heater first off thinking it could have been an issue on that end but with both powered down it was still chirping from the low end of the serp. path.

Well the belts and such are all 11+ years old and OEM/factory so I was thinking this would probably be the end result, bad belts that is. Already had this issue with my rear pinion seal at 32K miles and bought the car with the factory brake rotors still installed, albeit warped to all hell.

Going to just check the belts for cracking as I'm thinking I may even just put a good set of belts on and check the bearings while I'm at it. Suggestions on pulley/tensioner replacements?
Old 12-18-2011, 10:29 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
+2

I had squeaky belts/pulleys.

Replaced both my Serpentine/AC belt with Goodyear Gatorback and regreased my AC idler/tensioner pulleys.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...r-pulleys.html
Old 12-18-2011, 10:36 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Zabo
I cut out the AC/Heater first off thinking it could have been an issue on that end but with both powered down it was still chirping from the low end of the serp. path.

Well the belts and such are all 11+ years old and OEM/factory so I was thinking this would probably be the end result, bad belts that is. Already had this issue with my rear pinion seal at 32K miles and bought the car with the factory brake rotors still installed, albeit warped to all hell.

Going to just check the belts for cracking as I'm thinking I may even just put a good set of belts on and check the bearings while I'm at it. Suggestions on pulley/tensioner replacements?
DON'T replace!!!

Try re-greasing the pulleys first
Old 12-18-2011, 12:46 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I purchased Dayco pulleys for the AC belt and Goodyear pulleys for the main belt. If you are planning to drive the hell out of your car, you may want to do the same. That way you can have one set off the car and have them re-greased and ready to go when you need them. (I can't stand having my car down while I wait for or are rebuilding parts.)