General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What's wrong with my '99 SS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question What's wrong with my '99 SS?

So about a year ago I noticed that everytime I started my car my trip odometer would always reset to 0. So I figured it was the battery... Then about 2 weeks ago I noticed my battery was always dead so I ended up buying a new battery on Friday I believe and as soon as I put it in the car it didn't even start at all.

As a matter of fact when I opened my door the cabin lights didn't even turn on, so I decided to put jumper cables on and when I opened my door the cabin lights turned on like normal. I then went to try to crank it up and it wouldn't turn over and I noticed my security light on, on the cluster. So I wait a few minutes and the car finally started. I drove around for a while then the next day I go to start it again and it fires up like normal. I wait 2-3 days and I decided to see if everythings fine. I try to remote start it with my Viper alarm that was installed over the summer and my damn OEM alarm starts honking off. I got in the car, put the key in and try to crank it with nothing. The security light was on too.

Anyone know what could be the culprit? When my car is idling with the new batter it's reading 13.8v and when I had AutoZone test the old battery it was at 6v. Could this be my alternator? I doubt its my starter. None of this ever happened until by old batter died so I'm doubting its my alarm, but I could be wrong.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Start looking for shorts, and if the Alternator was bad, it would drain your battery.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it was your alternator = Your battery gauge would keep dropping while driving and eventually you would lose all of your electronics. (Trust me I know this one, I had an alternator die on me on the freeway at night).
Try starting the car at night and running your lights + fog lights + heater/ac + radio + etc. if you see the battery gauge start dropping and you lose power then its your alternator.

If it was the battery = It should have been resolved when you purchased a new battery right? You can test it with a battery tester.

I would check all the connections to the battery terminal first, I would also then look for shorts.

Electrical problems are the worst man I'm sorry
Old 12-24-2011, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

possible ground lose. tighten cables and all grounds from battery
Old 12-24-2011, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have ur Alternator tested