General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

rattle/shaking/thumping noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation rattle/shaking/thumping noise

My car recently started making a shaking/thumping/rattling noise. I only notice it when Im standing still and idling. It seems to be coming from somewhere by the pedals by I can feel the vibrations through my shifter. I dont think its the engine but I may be wrong. I only say that because I dont see the engine itself shaking and inspected it with a mech. stethoscope. Any suggestions to what it could be?
Old 12-30-2011, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Just a shot in the dark here but my T/A had a rattle/vibration that seemed to come from around the pedals and only when idling it drove me crazy for weeks til one day i noticed one of the powersteering lines was touching the little plastic "cup" on the back of the alternator.. i bent it away from it a little and havent heard that noise since... Try looking under it with it running maybe u can track down the noise
Old 12-30-2011, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i had a weld on the top of the catalytic converter come loose and gave me similar issues. crawl under when its on ramps and start banging on exhaust or suspension / driveline stuff... maybe engine mounts going bad?