General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Key switch problems afraid to ride it.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 09:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Key switch problems afraid to ride it.

So I just got this car and from day one the key switch felt funny. Well I put a new stereo in it and wanted to just turn the switch on accessory so i could listen to it and all of the sudden the key switch started free turning and my radio stayed on. Well I pulled the column and took it to a mechanic and he pushed the rod back and now everything works fine he just said not to turn it on accessory. What needs replaced in the column for this to be fixed right?
Old 12-28-2011, 09:13 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

See pages 21-26 of this document: http://www.diyfiero.com/dropspot/Jaz...ck_Rebuild.pdf

The cylinder is attached to a plastic gear, which engages a metal rack that moves with the tilt mechanism. My guess is that there is an issue here and when you turn to ACC, the pieces pop out of place.

The good news... these parts are cheap and very common.

The bad news... they are a total PITA to get to. (Otherwise your mechanic probably would have done a permanent fix.) It manes sense, though. If it were easy to get to these parts, you could easily start the car without a key...

If you are good with this kind of thing, you could probably do the repair over 1-2 days. If you were to pay a mechanic that much time, it would be more cost effective (probably) to get another steering column from a salvage yard and just switch them out.