General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car won't fire up... makes bad noise?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 03:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car won't fire up... makes bad noise?

My car is not starting up... every time I turn the key it just makes this noise that sounds kinda bad, can't really explain it well. I guess it sounds like a grinding-type noise? I posted 2 videos so you could hear what I am talking about. Anyone know what the problem is? This only occurs randomly and my car fires up no problem when this doesn't happen. Any help would be Greatly appreciated.

-Marcus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ACxFUoYTe8
Old 12-27-2011, 03:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a guess, but the starter bendex isn't kicking out. It's hard to tell on my phone what the noise actually sounds like.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chrisb07
Just a guess, but the starter bendex isn't kicking out. It's hard to tell on my phone what the noise actually sounds like.
First guess was the starter... I really can't know for sure because this problem isn't consistent? It's very annoying. And I know what you mean, I took the video on my iPhone 4 and the sound isn't very distinctive when viewing it on the phone. If your on your computer it's much easier to hear the distinct noise it makes, maybe I'll put up another video... But thanks for the input man!
Old 12-27-2011, 04:01 PM
TECH Regular

Here's another video, the noise it makes is a bit more clear:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4K0StSjJfg[url]
Old 12-27-2011, 04:51 PM
Teching In

I'm on my iPhone 4 also. I'll look at it when I get home later tonight and get back with you.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

Definitely the starter making the noise. Pull it out and have it checked at your local auto parts store.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Regular

I'm on my iPhone 4 also. I'll look at it when I get home later tonight and get back with you.
Appreciate it man!

Originally Posted by 94'BLKBRD
Definitely the starter making the noise. Pull it out and have it checked at your local auto parts store.
Guess that's what I'll have to do... I'm fairly certain if it is the starter its the bendix drive as stated by the guy above, because no way the problem is being caused by a damaged flywheel not being able to be engaged by the bendix drive... it's a week old! We'll have to see unless someone else may know Exactly what's causing it?.. Thanks though.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:25 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thats the exact sound my Bendix made when it was flying out like its supposed to and just rubbing against the teeth on the flywheel...because my starter itself broke. The aluminum housing of the starter broke. It also broke the starter mount off my block, but thats another story. Pray right now that you didn't break the block mount.

I'd put the front end up and just look up at the starter...see if its broken.....

You have to remove it anyway if its just a bad Bendix spring....

Maybe just needs a shim....

Old 12-27-2011, 05:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS6427
Thats the exact sound my Bendix made when it was flying out like its supposed to and just rubbing against the teeth on the flywheel...because my starter itself broke. The aluminum housing of the starter broke. It also broke the starter mount off my block, but thats another story. Pray right now that you didn't break the block mount.

I'd put the front end up and just look up at the starter...see if its broken.....

You have to remove it anyway....

Alright... that's 3 for the starter, 2 for the bendix. I can safely assume it's the bendix. Moving on to what you said, I will be PISSED if it broke the block mount. Just got this motor out of a 2000 Z/28 because my old LS1 threw a rod. Thankfully, the shop where it was swapped kept the old motor (under my request) so I will make a trip there to scavenge the old starter.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Yeah its gonna either be the Bendix or possibly need a shim. Is the starter thats on there now a reman starter?
Old 12-28-2011, 02:45 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah its gonna either be the Bendix or possibly need a shim. Is the starter thats on there now a reman starter?
Not sure, but my next starter definitely will not be. I have no problem with reman starters but I'd rather just pay a bit extra for quality ya know?