General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Performing coolant reservoir swap, Trying to find part #10213669

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Performing coolant reservoir swap, Trying to find part #10213669

I am currently performing a coolant reservoir swap. I have a dorman reservoir and fill cap but it did not come with a grommet for the coolant recovery pipe, part number 10213669.

See #16:

This grommet is needed to seal the coolant recovery pipe to the opening of the reservoir. This grommet is a discontinued part, no dealerships carry it. I checked with all my local auto parts stores, none carry it. I searched on google, every parts site that came up said the item was no longer available.

I've considered reusing the grommet from my old reservoir and have come to the conclusion that this part is not meant to be reused. It is fixed to the coolant reservoir opening in such a manner which is next to impossible to remove. I've even cut the old reservoir in half to try and pull on the grommet from both ways and have seen no success. I tugged so hard on the grommet the last time I tried to remove it I actually damaged it.

Does anyone know where I can find one of these grommets? Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited by RedVertTA; 01-13-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reuse it and if you are that worried about it put some high temp rtv around it as well to ensure it seals?
Old 01-03-2012, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I had the same problem as you. I had to replace my coolant reservoir because the top of it broke. This was because the battery was loose. Anyways I also could not find the part. It didn't come with my new reservoir. What i did was cut as close as i could to the old grommet with out damaging it. Then i just pulled the container apart and reused the old grommet. I used some wd40 or something to help it get into the new reservoir. No leaks what so ever after a good 10k miles. And no I didn't use any type of RTV.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

you can reuse the old 1...its a bitch to get out but it does come out
Old 01-03-2012, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
you can reuse the old 1...its a bitch to get out but it does come out
+1. It was a bitch and a half to get out, but you can reuse it.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Success

Sorry for the late update. I finally got the darn thing off. I'm even surprised as to how, I did it with a chisel. Strangely enough the plastic around the grommet is hard enough that it cracks rather than bending or cutting.

After chiseling the area around the grommet enough I was able to free it. This was done from the backside, in other words the inside area of the tank. This would not have been possible without cutting the reservoir tank portion in half.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Still I'm pissed that I had to go through all of this. This really should have been a part that is included with a new reservoir. Even the dorman tech support rep I spoke with over the phone agreed and said I was not the first person to voice that concern.

On another note look at all the disgusting **** that was in my old reservoir. Is this normal?

Last edited by RedVertTA; 01-13-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

damm dude.......i just greased mine up and yanked it out
Old 01-13-2012, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

I had to hack mine up too. But damn my tank was no where near being that dirty.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Any ideas as to what may have caused it to be that dirty?
Old 01-14-2012, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

It's probably just the Dex cool. That stuff gums up everything. When I did my coolant flush all my old Dex cool was nasty and it looked like that where i pulled off the hoses to hook up the machine. Are you getting your coolant flushed too?
Old 01-15-2012, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ Already did, but without a machine. Just drained the old coolant and replaced it with clean water. Ran the motor to temp, drained, repeated, until the water came out clear.

So the pics of the reservoir are from after the coolant was flushed.

I also swapped over to green coolant. I hope that this thread doesn't turn into a green coolant vs dexcool thread, that topic is a beaten dead horse. Please don't do this people.

Why the switch? Because I don't like the idea of running dexcool in a vented system. I think dexcool is great stuff and has its place but I don't think this is it. Just my .02

OK, so I suppose the brown was just dexcool gum, thanks.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

No problem. And i'm not going to tell ya what to put in your car lol. Coolant is coolant.
Old 08-28-2020, 01:33 PM
Teching In

old thread back from the dead as I am dealing with this problem too. A few thoughts -

1) the grommet does NOT need to be air tight, the overflow reservoir does not hold pressure/vacuum, it just needs to hold the aluminum tube in place. What needs to be air tight is the aluminum tube-rubber hose connection all the way to the radiator, so that when the radiator has negative pressure it can drink up the overflown coolant from the overflow reservoir back into the radiator as the engine cools down

2) I removed the grommet with a bit of wd 40 and two needle nose pliers, one pair grasping at the 12 oclock position the outer & inner lips, the other at the 6 oclock position grasping the respective outer & inner lips. then I just pull up and it popped out. Obviously the aluminum tube was removed first. If this grommet were damaged beyond re-use i think any similar sized inner/outer diameter grommet from a hardware store would do just fine. again because it does not need to hold pressure/vacuum.

my 2 cents hope others dealing with this see this and find it useful.

Quick Reply: Performing coolant reservoir swap, Trying to find part #10213669