General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Old 05-10-2016, 03:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

So I changed my brake fluid....

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 02:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So I changed my brake fluid....

So I had some time off this week, so I did a little work on the trans am. I looked at the brake fluid and saw that it needed to be cleaned out asap. So with the help of a buddy and his bleeder we bled all four brakes and swapped out the old crap with some new fluid. I have no idea how it got this dirty. The car only has 57K miles on it and that stuff is black as you can see. Anyone have any ideas?

Well anyways just sharing. Keep up with your maintenance!!

After about a hour of bleeding all four corners this is what came out.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...this result is not uncommon.....brake fluid is subject to large hydrolic pressures....

I swap the reservour fluid out on the master frequently using a turkey baster, - say every oil change but, since the brake fluid does not curculate, this does not prevent the fliud in the lines from degradation. The only way to fix this is to bleed all four corners....
Old 01-05-2012, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, looks darker than used engine oil.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

The thing about brake fluid is that it doesn't really circulate through the brake system, as robertbartrch says. You can have fluid in the reservoir that looks just fine but your lines near your brake cylinders are full of crappy ****.

If you buy a Mityvac brake bleeder you can change the fluid without the help of another person.

What I did is use ATE Super Blue DOT 4 brake fluid once. You can tell when the new fluid comes through by the color. The same product is available in the standard amber color. So the next time I change the brake fluid I will use amber, then blue, then amber.

Contaminated brake fluid stays in the calipers until changed out. You can save a lot of trouble if you change out the fluid once a year.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ghardester
The thing about brake fluid is that it doesn't really circulate through the brake system, as robertbartrch says. You can have fluid in the reservoir that looks just fine but your lines near your brake cylinders are full of crappy ****.

If you buy a Mityvac brake bleeder you can change the fluid without the help of another person.

What I did is use ATE Super Blue DOT 4 brake fluid once. You can tell when the new fluid comes through by the color. The same product is available in the standard amber color. So the next time I change the brake fluid I will use amber, then blue, then amber.

Contaminated brake fluid stays in the calipers until changed out. You can save a lot of trouble if you change out the fluid once a year.

That's exactly why I did it the right way. My buddy has a home made bleeder so it was super easy. I just replaced the old stuff with dot 3 synthetic from prestone. Its clear so next time it gets dirty I'll see it.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brake fluid is very susceptible to fluid absorption (it has an afinity for water) and you might wanna check your reservior cap to make sure the rubber gasket is in good shape as the brake fluid can absorb humidity over time and turn this color.

Quick Reply: So I changed my brake fluid....