General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Cars been sitting....

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 02:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cars been sitting....

I haven't started my car since probably march of 2011. It's been sitting with a full tank of gas and two flats on the back (havent been able to afford insurance and tires). I know I need to charge the battery, but I'm worried about some of the fluids and what not... should I be able to just fire it up, or is there some things I need to drain/replace?
Old 01-18-2012, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ls1Envy
I haven't started my car since probably march of 2011. It's been sitting with a full tank of gas and two flats on the back (havent been able to afford insurance and tires). I know I need to charge the battery, but I'm worried about some of the fluids and what not... should I be able to just fire it up, or is there some things I need to drain/replace?
Honestly that's not that long, should fire up just fine. Make sure the battery is fully charged and the oil looks good and fire her up.

PS
Check the coolant as well.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:32 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Yeah, less than a year is no big deal at all. My cars sit for 5-6 months every winter without being started, I don't even think twice about it....but I do keep the batteries charged and put Stabil in the gas prior to storage.

If the oil was new before you put it away and the car has been sitting inside, then it should be fine. If the oil was already old and/or the car was stored outside, I'd probably change the oil.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I store my during the winter(oct-april) with a fresh 6qts of oil and full tank of 93 with sta-bil and it always starts but i also have an automatic trickle charger and its stored indoors which helps. I also like to prime the oiling system before I start since it has been sitting for an extended period of time. What i do is... I remove the fuel injection fuses and the fuel pump fuse and crank engine over atleast 3-5 times to build oil pressure until it registers on the gauge and then reinstall the fuses and then start it up.