General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

LS1 no start, starter engages but it doesn't sound like it's turning over. Help. :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 no start, starter engages but it doesn't sound like it's turning over. Help. :(

So basically, today my car crapped out. I was on the freeway and the car started bucking, tach went down to zero and it wouldn't start when I pulled over. It has bogged down before but it has never shut off.

When I go to turn the key it sounds like the starter is engaging, but I hear a loud fast clack, clack, clack. In other words it sounds like the flywheel isn't turning the way it's supposed to when it's being started. Sometimes it'll fire up and hold at about 200 rpm for a couple seconds and die.

At first I thought it was a bad fuel pump, but I'm not so sure because of the clack issue.

The car is modded, it's got long tube headers, 241 heads, TR224 cam, injectors, and other little things that I can't really remember. Car is a 2000 Trans Am. What other info do you guys need?

I'm just trying to find out where to begin tackling this. Please help.

Victor
Old 02-24-2012, 08:06 AM
12 Second Club

Its a shot in the dark and probably not right. But my car did something similar when my computer crapped out except it didnt make an audible noise when trying to turn over like that but it would start and get to like 200-400 rpms then die and then wouldnt start again until i disconnected the computer and then reconnected it.

Like i said shot in the dark but thats what happened to me.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Z28_LT1
So basically, today my car crapped out. I was on the freeway and the car started bucking, tach went down to zero and it wouldn't start when I pulled over. It has bogged down before but it has never shut off.

When I go to turn the key it sounds like the starter is engaging, but I hear a loud fast clack, clack, clack. In other words it sounds like the flywheel isn't turning the way it's supposed to when it's being started. Sometimes it'll fire up and hold at about 200 rpm for a couple seconds and die.

At first I thought it was a bad fuel pump, but I'm not so sure because of the clack issue.

The car is modded, it's got long tube headers, 241 heads, TR224 cam, injectors, and other little things that I can't really remember. Car is a 2000 Trans Am. What other info do you guys need?

I'm just trying to find out where to begin tackling this. Please help.

Victor
Look at your battery first, sounds like you don't have enough voltage to engage your starter drive. Also system voltage is critical for any module to work correctly (PCM, ECM, ABS you get the idea). I would start with battery, battery connections and charging system, that should be simple enough.

Chris
Old 02-24-2012, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure you have a good battery, even having someone give you a jump will work. If you still hear the noise but the starter will not turn the engine over then it would be possible your starter could be going bad. It is possible that the starter could be shorting inside and literally sucking the life out of the car. If it were me I would be sure that I had enough power to turn the car over and if the starter sounded like it was trying to turn the engine over and doesn't budge it. I would remove the starter and you could take it to autozone and they can check it for free. If the starter is good get yourself a big ratchet and socket and triy to turn the engine over by hand. If you cannot turn the engine over by hand you have big problems. If you can turn it over by hand I would suspect you have some kind of electrical fault
Old 02-24-2012, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright, thanks. I'll get under it today and report back. I'll start with the simple stuff first...If the charging system checks out, I'll start on taking that starter off to see if I can turn the engine.

I don't think it's the charging system because everything looks normal on the dash and the headlights are nice and bright. Also, that audible clacking doesn't sound like when you have a weak battery. If I can find a camera, I'll post a video of it. (my phone sucks. lol)

I'm also going to see if I can pull a code from it, that should help narrow it down.

Thanks for the help, I'll report back by the end of the day.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Alrighty, good news! I found the problem.

It's the fuel pump. The engine turns normal, starter is fine, and charging system works. I have no pressure in the fuel rail, my pump isn't priming, and when I dumped gas into the TB, it fired right up and died.

Anyone know of a good write up on how to drop that tank? It looks like it's going to be a pain in the ***.

Victor
Old 02-25-2012, 09:14 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Trap door procedure is what you want to do....not dropping the tank.

Just search that......"Trap door mod fuel pump".

Heres two that explain how to do it, pic and videos:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...door+fuel+tank

https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-i...door+fuel+tank

Old 02-25-2012, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
Trap door procedure is what you want to do....not dropping the tank.

Just search that......"Trap door mod fuel pump".

Heres two that explain how to do it, pic and videos:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...door+fuel+tank

https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-i...door+fuel+tank

YUP,, its the best way. Trying to drop the tank is a complete PITA....
Old 02-26-2012, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

o.O The only thing that worries me is hitting a fuel line or cutting into the tank. I'll hit up the fuel/injection forum. Thanks!

Quick Reply: LS1 no start, starter engages but it doesn't sound like it's turning over. Help. :(