General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

coolant leak from water pump or front engine cover gasket

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant leak from water pump or front engine cover gasket

Well my car a 3.4l v6 camaro overheated the other day . it heated up to ~260 a couple of times as i limped it home. thermostat stuck so i replaced it and it doesnt overheat anymore atleast lol but now i appear to have a coolant leak.

It is defenitly coming from the water pump area but i'm not sure if it is the water pump or if it is the front engine cover gasket. ATM i have the car torn down with the water pump off and im not sold on the fact that its just the water pump. What are the chances that its the engine cover gasket if there is a chance at all? It looks like it may have coolant passages that lead to the water pump?

How hard is it to get to that gasket now with the water pump/power steering bracket already off? Is it even possible that its that gasket?

thanks for any help!
Old 02-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the water pump pulley have any play in it? some water pumps have a weep hole behind the pulley and will start leaking coolant when the pump gets worn out. Also check for stripped bolts and make sure theres no leftover gasket material on the engine block because that will cause a leak.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its probably the water pump. Front cover gasket usually leaks oil, not coolant - at least externally.

Quick Reply: coolant leak from water pump or front engine cover gasket