General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How many qrts - flush power steering system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 09:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How many qrts - flush power steering system?

My power steering rack and pump are contaminated with water/antifreeze resulting from a blown PS cooler and the PS fluid is now PINK - UHG.

I'm going to hook the PS return line to a gallon jug and pump fresh fluid into the system until it is clean.

Question: How many quarts of fluid should this process use? Are you using ATF or power steering fluid?

Thx
Old 03-13-2012, 10:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Is a gallon (4 quarts) of power sterering fluid (ATF) enough to get the remaining water out of the system (rack and pump)?

Thx.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:35 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

yes. But I would do more to make sure you get it all out. Water will swirl around in the rack and stay in either end.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll need at least a gallon yes. You'll also need someone to turn the steering wheel from lock to lock slowly as you pour in new fluid to make sure all the old junk gets passed out. Once you turn the steering wheel it drains fast. That is why you need two people.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:22 PM
TECH Veteran

what is the worst thing that could happen from any water that is left in the power steering system?

* leaky seals
* busted pump
* Squeely noises
* all of the above?

I think I got most of the ATF out of the cooling system and that contamination is less likely to cause additional damage; right? Would it be OK to use non-foaming automatic dish soap in the cooling system for several minutes to get out any oil that is still left over? I have de-greaser but I am reluctant to use it since it is a strong chemical that might damage the water pump seals.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:05 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Here's my write-up on how to flush it properly.

Power Steering Fluid Flush:

You and 2 friends.

Jack up the front of the car and put it on jack stands so you can turn the wheels left and right.

Engine and fluids….COLD.

Remove the hose that attaches to the bottom of the reservoir. Immediately cap that port with a vacuum port type rubber cap so the fluid doesn't pour out. You can buy assorted cap kits at the auto parts store. Or you can use a 2 foot piece of 3/8" heater hose to quickly slip on the port and just point the other end up higher than the reservoir cap so none comes out. Tape it or clamp it in place.

The hose you just removed from the reservoir.......Point it down under the car into a drain pan. This is the hose either coming from the factory cooler (if you have one).....or its coming from the rack (if you do not have the factory cooler). Either way, doesn't matter.

Have a friend hold that hose into the pan and keep his thumb over the end and wait there. The entire flush is a matter of 2 minutes.

Have another friend with 4 new OPEN bottles of PS fluid ready to start dumping it into the reservoir.

You get in the car and start the engine.

Your friend removes his finger from the hose end and lets the fluid shoot into the pan. As you turn the wheels FULL right and left have your friend pour new fluid into the reservoir as the level drops. It could drop fast so be ready to pour. Fluid will come shooting out of the hose into the pan.

As soon as the friend holding the hose sees clean new fluid coming out into the pan.............stop the engine.
(if the friend that is pouring fluid in ever sees the reservoir about to run dry because he cannot pour it in fast enough, simply have him tell you to shut the engine off. Top it off and start the engine again. Don't let it run dry.)

Put the hose back onto the reservoir, clamp it. Top it off with PS fluid.

Your done.

CHECK to see if during this project you spilled any power steering fluid onto or into the alternator. If you did, simply drench it with WD-40 or SeaFoam spray to clean it. Then rinse it real good with hose water. Go for a 10 minute drive, take a bottle of fluid with you in case you hear any noise you can pull over immediately and top it off. Then come back and check the level one more time. Its fine to take the cap off when its hot. Top off the fluid if needed.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:39 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
what is the worst thing that could happen from any water that is left in the power steering system?
Nothing to worry about as long as you flush the system as described above. There are thousands of people with our cars driving around with coolant in their PS and PS in their coolant. Its not good for the parts, but it doesn't really permanently mess things up either.

Quick Reply: How many qrts - flush power steering system?