General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

2000 camaro issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 12:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 camaro issues

hello to all. im new and just got my 2000 camaro ss a week ago. traded my 2007 ninja zx6r for it.. on cold starts it sounds like something squeaking but goes away after the car warms up. maybe a belt? and also tonight i went to start it and it did nothing. lights and everything came on but didnt turn over or click or nothing. after trying acouple times i turned the car off waited a sec and tryed again and it started.. would that be the ignition or maybe bad ground on starter? thanks in advance to all. and hello again....

ps. the car is 6 speed and has 84735 miles on it. all stock with flowmaster and k&n filter
Old 04-01-2012, 02:30 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,057 Posts

The squeak is probably a pulley or a belt. If the belts look old, you could try replacing them first. If not, or if that doesn't help, then it's most likely a pulley issue. Any pulley could potentially be causing it, but it's usually an idler or tensioner pulley that seems to do this. The good news is, you can try running the engine with one of the two belts removed to isolate which pulley system is making the noise (A/C or main system).

As for the no crank condition, that could be anything from a wiring issue to a VATS problem. Might also just be a simple case of a weak battery.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:32 AM
On The Tree

could be a nuetral safety switch or not having clutch depressed far enough
Old 04-01-2012, 12:21 PM
Teching In

ok thanks guys i going out in a bit the work on it.. is there anyway of testing VATS or nuetral safety switch? thanks again
Old 04-01-2012, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

probably just need to ground the vats i had the exact same 2 problems your posting about lol
Old 04-01-2012, 01:51 PM
Teching In

ok. i just went out and tried to start it. all the lights on dash come on (like normal) when i turned the key over to start some of the lights on dash went off and gas gauge dropped to e like no volts. but i let the clutch out and and pressed it down again hard to floor and it started.. does that sound like a clutch switch?
Old 04-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Teching In

also the squeaking is coming from the passanger side. cant really tell if its coming from lower part of motor or upper... but the squeaking does stop after its run for awhile and warms up... any input on this and clutch switch stated above?
Old 04-02-2012, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

does seem like clutch/nuetral safety switch.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:15 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Not sure about the clutch switch, but the next move with the squeak would be to pull one of the two belts and see which system is making the noise. With the belts removed, you can also spin the pullies by hand and see if any are making any noise or spin too freely or have any wobble to them.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:03 PM
Teching In

ok took the ac belt off the squeaking is gone.. so what should i do next try a new belt? i want to keep the ac
Old 04-02-2012, 05:01 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 2000ss_ls1
ok took the ac belt off the squeaking is gone.. so what should i do next try a new belt? i want to keep the ac
This is good, at least you have narrowed it down some.

Did you try spinning the AC tensioner and idler pullies by hand, just to see if the bearings made any scraping/grinding/etc noises? Or try to see if they have any bit of wobble to them?

You could try a new belt, if that doesn't solve it then it's either the tensioner pulley, idler pulley, or the A/C compressor pulley itself. Chances are it'll be the idler or tensioner though.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Teching In

tenssioner pulley has alittle noise but not much and its alittle lose/wobble. i am gonna get a dayco belt tomarrow and if that dont fix it i will get the pulley. still havin alittle trouble starting sometimes. but if let out on clutch and press it back down hard it starts everytime. hoping its the clutch switch. thanks to everyone again for all the advice. i'll post pics of car as soon as i learn how too.....
Old 04-30-2014, 03:50 PM
Teching In

I have had the same issues. To fix the a/c noise I had to adjust the clutch on the compressor. Turns out the a/c clutch was dragging when it wasn't engaged. A change in noise when you turn your a/c on and off leans towards this theory. If the noise is constant you may have a bad bearing in your compressor, this is where im at right now. There is a really good write up on here about replacing the bearing yourself rather than buying a new compressor all together.

I've been through 2 sets of belts now trying to stop noises, I wish I would have spent more on the gatorback belts. My opinion on that.

Curious about the starting issues though, mine does the same sometimes. Acts like a dead battery, flicking the ignition twice starts it up w.e this happens though.

Congrats on the new car! Don't be discouraged by the little things, everything is very fixable on these vehicles and often are a cheap fix.

Quick Reply: 2000 camaro issues