General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

car wont lock with remote after battery died

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 08:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car wont lock with remote after battery died

so i left my lights on by accident the other night and when i went to get in the car the next morning i tried to push the unlock button and nothing happened. so i unlock the door using my key and when i get in all i can hear is a clicking noise like it was trying to unlock the doors nonstop and the only way it would stop is when i put the key in the ignition and turned it. i jump started the car and since then i have not been able to use my remote to unlock/lock my doors and set my alarm. also i am unable to lock/unlock by pushing the the power buttons in the door. i have to manually do it everytime. i know that the battery in my remote is not dead but i have no idea what all is involved when it comes to this area of the car. was hoping that you guys could point me in the right direction because it is becoming very annoying
Old 04-18-2012, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 527 Likes on 333 Posts

How long was the car dead for? Did you have a full charge on the battery when the clicking noise started?
Old 04-18-2012, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe you need to re-program your remote, its not difficult to do
Old 04-18-2012, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mike171562
maybe you need to re-program your remote, its not difficult to do
The door lock button has to be working..lol
Old 04-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a
How long was the car dead for? Did you have a full charge on the battery when the clicking noise started?
not sure exactly how long car was dead but it was about 15 hours from the time i parked the car to when i tried to start it. no there was not a full charge when the clicking started. i noticed it right after i hooked up the jumper cables. i did notice yesterday that the power lock buttons on the door started working again so how do i go about reprogramming the remote?
Old 04-19-2012, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

Get in the car and hold down the unlock button while you cycle the key from off to the running position three times quickly, on that third time just leave your key forward. After that cycle your locks will lock and unlock and your trunk will release to let you know you're in programming mode. Then just hold your lock and unlock button on the remote at the same time for a while (i think about 15 seconds) and the locks and trunk will cycle again to let you know its programmed!
Old 04-20-2012, 02:36 PM
Teching In

You have to pull the fuse for the radio first, then you can cycle the ignition switch three times. Once you hear the locks cycle, hold the lock and unlock buttons down until the locks cycle again. Make sure you put the fuse back in when you're done.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FinZ28
You have to pull the fuse for the radio first, then you can cycle the ignition switch three times. Once you hear the locks cycle, hold the lock and unlock buttons down until the locks cycle again. Make sure you put the fuse back in when you're done.
havent been on in a few days due to work, so i have to pull the fuse then go into the programming mode (with fuse out) then when done programming put fuse back in? also which fuse is for the radio?

on a side note i was on interstate yesterday and my cruise control was not working either not sure if it is related to this or if it is from switching to a 52mm tb

Last edited by slow96ss; 04-24-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

radio fuse is #17 and yeah that's how you do it!

Idk what to tell you about the cruise. lol

Quick Reply: car wont lock with remote after battery died