General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Window regulator

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 02:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window regulator

Before you say use the search feature I have. I have found countless threads on replacing the motor, leaving the regulator in place.

Well, I pulled into the garage yesterday and the passenger window just fell into the door (95 firebird). I pulled the panel off and the 4 1/4" rivets that held the regulator in place had been pulled through the door. I've got the regulator out of the door and removed the old rivets now I need to reinstall but I don't have access to a rivet gun that will do 1/4.

My question:

Is it possible to bolt it in?

I could buy one from oreilly's/autozone but don't really want to blow $40 on something I will use once in my life. It looks like I can get bolt's in there I just don't know if they are going to interfere with the regulator's movement.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Picked one up at Harbor Freight or about 20 bucks. Came with an assortment of different sizes including the 1/4" you need. Worked great
Old 04-13-2012, 03:48 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

There are issues with this. There is a special type of rivet for that regulator, if you use the wrong ones then the mounting holes will enlarge over time and you'll have to install some sort of custom mounting plate to mount the regulator to. There are several threads on this, though I don't have one handy to link to at the moment.

These special rivets can be had from GM, maybe other sources as well. I'm sure someone that has replaced one of these can confirm where to buy the correct rivet. This is part of the reason why I don't believe in removing the regulators on these cars just to replace the motor. Someone may have already removed and (incorrectly) reinstalled yours, causing this issue. If that's the case, then you'll need to do something to correct the enlarged hole left behind.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:58 PM
Teching In

We don't have a harbor freight around here. There is walmart, lowes, menards, orielly's and autozone.

I just got back from the hardware store with nuts, bolts, and a hand full of washers and gonna try to rig this puppy up. Seems like it will work if I can get the nut started on the bolt from inside the door.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
There are issues with this. There is a special type of rivet for that regulator, if you use the wrong ones then the mounting holes will enlarge over time and you'll have to install some sort of custom mounting plate to mount the regulator to. There are several threads on this, though I don't have one handy to link to at the moment.

These special rivets can be had from GM, maybe other sources as well. I'm sure someone that has replaced one of these can confirm where to buy the correct rivet. This is part of the reason why I don't believe in removing the regulators on these cars just to replace the motor. Someone may have already removed and (incorrectly) reinstalled yours, causing this issue. If that's the case, then you'll need to do something to correct the enlarged hole left behind.
I believe this is what happened. the window had started to tilt forward after being raised up. I pulled the panel off last year and noticed the regulator would "lean out" after raising the window. Yesterday (once it pulled free of the mounts) when I took the reg. out of the door I noticed broken glass was covering the bottom of the inner door. Appears this wasn't the first time a window has dropped in this door.

Hopefully I can get it to stay securely with bolts, actually going up and down will be a bonus but for right now I need to get it out of the garage so my GF can park in there.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:14 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Bolts will just tear up the door more. If the old rivets pulled through the door skin, I'd think they wouldn't hold a new piece of hardware securely. You'll need to do the plate fix:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-included.html
Old 04-18-2012, 10:02 AM
Teching In

I did the sheet metal plate repair yesterday and it is working so far. Pulled the regulator/motor out removed the old rivets and jackets, ran to the hardware store and bought a 12"x24" piece of 1/8" galvanized sheet metal and 4 (1/4" grade 5) bolts that were 3/4" long, 4 locking nuts and 4 washers for a grand total of under $12. Borrowed some tin snips-cut out a piece of metal, clamped it to the fiberglass and drilled holes.

Used the two washers on the outside of the plate for each of the two bolts closest to the door hinge (probably should have gotten 1/2" long bolts but this worked) to keep the bolts from obstructing the path of the regulator gear.

All in all it took me about 2.5 hour to reinstall everything by myself (retracking the rollers alone was a PITA)

I still have enough sheet metal to do the driver's side door since it is slowing and rattles if closed with window down.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

I thought the same thing because of the fiberglass door and all so I took 4 flat washers same size as original hole, cemented them to the door, and installed the rivets. Gives a little extra protection from boring out the holes.

I like to be thorough like that.

Quick Reply: Window regulator